Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
One thing I've learned in this hobby is the more you worry, the more something may become a bigger deal than it is. The best way to avoid worrying is to do water changes. In small tanks, a 50% every few days is great! In large tanks I clean about 75% every few days. I don't use filters and I have a python siphon so it's easier for me. Just make sure you're doing water changes at least once a week in smaller tanks. The more, the better!

you should really do only 30% weekly to conserve the nitrogen cycle, the only time you should do more i a betta in a less than 3 gallon tank.

Aquarium Pharmeseuticals (API) makes something called quick start that you can use when doing larger changes, it contains nitrifying bacteria.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
hmmm :/ any other ways to conserve bacteria during a large water change? I just like to feel peace of mind that I haven't dusrupted the cycle. A sponge? lol getting one algae anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.