Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I have ordered some IAL and I have two acrylic betta bow tanks, does anyone know if the leaves stain the tanks?
Second, I wrote a post a couple of days ago and know one answered so I will try again. I had a fish with a really bad case of fin and body rot and after 3 months of treating with multiple courses of things I had to uthenize him. :-(. What I need to know is how best to clean the tank. It has a sponge filter and has been running since just in case I don't have to destroy the system all together. It still has a tiny bit of antibiotic in it still.

Should I just do a 100%water change and clean ornaments in tap water like normal clean, and then squish the filter really well in some clean but treated water? Or do I need to disassemble and totally clean with some disinfectant, and if so with what? Any advice would be much appreciated as I want it up and running and ready so when I find the right one, whenever that is, it will be all ready for him at home. :)

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
I'm sorry no one answered your post but I'll see if I can help here.
IAL doesn't stain tanks, it "stains" water but not the tanks.
You don't need to sterilize a tank after rot, it's carried on the fish not the ornaments or anything. The filter will be fine the way it is although depending on which antibiotics you use could have ruined your cycle if you had one going but otherwise you can just set it up and let it go. Without an ammonia source you may lose the cycle anyway since the bacteria will stall without a food source.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh well, I will clean it up and have it running and I will just watch carefully when I add a new fish. Thanks so much and Whoooo! That's a relief. Lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts