Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on converting my 10g into an NPT. I was wondering if using eco-complete as a cap would be a problem? If it is alright, would 1.5 inches of it with 2 inches of dirt be alright? I had initially bought it thinking it would "replace" the need for dirt as the bag implied, so I don't want to waste it.

As for the actual dirt part- organic miracle gro is so difficult to find aside from online! My 2 local nurseries and Lowes/Home depot did not carry them last I checked.(Maybe it's still too early in the year?) Does anyone have any other brands that they have tried with great success?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
I would go 1-1.5 inches of dirt with the Eco-complete of 1.5-2 inches of cap. The Eco Complete should be fine to use but keep the entire substrate level BELOW 3 inches. You run into the issue of anaerobic substrate, gasses can get stuck and if release could kill your fishes. So it's best to use a gravel or something larger than 2-3mm in size so the soil has space to "breathe" so to say.

You can also mineralize your soil which may or may not help. The original person to come up with this method; Diane Walstad said that she found no help in mineralizing the soil so it's up to you if you want to. You can google that to find out more.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Look out for brands that have chemical fertilizers though, you want something that is natural for the tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts