Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother had 2 bettas. He took good care of them for a while but they died while I was away at college and he isn't interested in having anymore. He told me I could have his old tanks. They are both filtered and have heaters which is great. the only problem is that he was dumb and never removed the dead fish from the tanks. It's been over a year now. The one still houses living plants and the other is empty as the water all evaporated.

Is it possible to even reuse these tanks? How should I go about cleaning them? The one has rocks and the other has sand.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
just strip them down and decide what's usable and what need replaced, clean it with water and vinegar, or maybe bleach, but really I dont see why you'd need harsh chemicals for this.
do you know how many gallons they are?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
id probably just get new substrate all together, any sort of decor can be easily replaced, i was referring more to the heater, filter,lights ect that are all part of a real betta aquarium.
you can probably re use the live plants if you wanted

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only thing I'm really interested in keeping is the bubble volcano in the 5 gallon. If I clean it well do you think I could keep it without risking the new fish getting sick?

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
Those fish died a long time ago, right? There's not much disease that can survive time and a good cleaning.

Keep the filters and heaters; they're the most expensive things to replace. Keep the live plants, if you can.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Everything should be pretty salvageable. c: Hot water and vinegar should do the job. You can use bleach if you feel the need, though I agree that it doesn't seem necessary. Harsh chemicals make me nervous, despite how well I rinse. >_<

As long as you can it really well (soak, rinse, dry, repeat) I think the volcano should be fine. :3

1 - 8 of 8 Posts