Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently put my two male betta fish into a 10 gallon tank WITH a divider. I purchased them a heater and filter. I also put some plastic over the filter to decrease the flow of the water. Now i'm noticing the water is a little foggy and I havent even cycled because I was unaware that I needed to. When I started to read about cycling I became very confused. What materials do I need to use for the cycle process? On the instructions for my tank I read that I need to add tetra safe start before putting in my fish but I didnt have any. Then it also mentioned something about using easy balance plus followed by test strips. If I started the cycle process would I just have to take the fish out and put them in something until the cycle is complete. I'm so confused what would be my best bet?

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
You have already started the nitrogen cycle in the 10gal filtered tank-once you added the ammonia source-The 2 Bettas......

You can safely cycle the tank with the Bettas provided that you make the needed water changes.....and if you don't have the testing products at hand....you can still do it......however, some will be guess work...still not a problem as long as you make the needed water changes.....

In 10gal filtered without live plants-divided with 2 Bettas and without testing products.....Water changes of twice weekly for the first 4-6 weeks....

One-50% water only and One-50% to include the substrate cleaning by vacuum or stir and dip method....

Start your first 50% water only on day 3 and schedule the 50% with vacuum 3-4 days after that....

If you have test products on hand-base the 50% water only on readings of ammonia, nitrite 0.25ppm or greater

The 50% with vacuum will be for the life of the system to maintain water quality.

Once the nitrogen cycle is established-1-50% weekly with vacuum to maintain water quality
Filter media needs a swish/rinse in the bucket of old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month-best to wait until the cycle is establish before you start this unless the water flow is compromised.

If you can, have your water tested at the pet shop weekly and once you have Nitrate 5-10ppm with ammonia, nitrite 0ppm-you are most likely cycled-this can take 4-6 weeks.....

Love to see some pic.....

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Cost of items can vary from location to location and store to store.....I would give your local pet shops and walmart a call for a price check....in my area they cost roughly 7-15 dollars....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts