Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
~Neo (♂ betta) ~Lucy (♀ platy) ~Andromeda (♀ molly) ~Otto (♂ oto catfish) ~Archibald ( ♂ mys. snail)
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey friends!

So I'm gonna try and make this super quick since I don't have much time at the moment but I've got a quick question. So a little while ago I've gotten my hands on a female guppy, and I'm like 99.9% sure she's about a week pregnant, maybe a little less. It's a long story on how I got her and how she became pregnant but I promise I'll update soon. And I've also been doing a ton of research on how to take care of things so I've already got things in the works for preparation.

Anyway, my question is, if there's a little bit of bloating, is it okay to fast for a day? I mean often times throughout the animal kingdom the early part of pregnancy is most important for healthy development, so I figured I'd get some opinions.

I do have daphnia to feed to get things moving along, but she's so ferocious when she eats that she'll eat too much too fast and bloat on that too. There are things I can do to make it so she won't do that, but if fasting isn't bad I figured I could do that too. What do you guys think? Or if you have any other advice in general that you'd like to share, I'm all ears. This will be my first time with a pregnant fish and babies, so I'm pretty into it and excited to learn from it. Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
6,442 Posts
I can't say specifically if it's ok or not. But there were times when I couldn't feed my fish - sometimes up to 2 days. Female live bearers that were always pregnant were fine and eventually gave birth to healthy babies.

IMO, what is important is the late stages. Too much stress may cause premature birth. Fry born not fully developed (still shows egg yolk) usually don't make it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts