Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I wasn't sure where to post this but I have a friend who is going back to college shortly and asked if I could take a few fish off her hands so they wouldn't get stressed out. She asked if I would take her platys which I know get along well with Bettas for the most part (she also had them with a Betta). Two weeks ago (maybe a little longer or a little less) one of her tanks (the one with the platys) got cotton wool disease she quickly quarantined them all losing all that she had but 3. The 3 are still alive and are doing well and have been quarantined and treated for the past two weeks. Will they be okay to merge with my Betta now or do they still need to be quarantined and treated? Sorry if I rambled on but I'm suppose to be getting them tomorrow.

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,594 Posts
I wouldn't add any potentially sick fish to your tank. You'd need to quarantine them for a minimum of a month. They may be fine now but moving them could cause just enough stress to bring out the disease.

BTW, what size is your tank? What size the Platys? You do know they cause huge bioloads? Most species profiles recommend a 10 gallon as a bare minimum.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 5gal for my betta and an empty 3gal (which was my bettas original tank) 2 of the platys are adults (both female) and the other one is baby who is about 1/2in maybe a little bigger long. This is only suppose to be temporary until she comes back from classes in May. She just has to many fish to travel with them all and I am one of the only other ones she knows with a fish which is why she asked me cause she knows Ill take care of them as my own lol, Would it be okay to use the 3gal as a quarantine? I would just have to go grab a new heater for it and a some decorations.

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,594 Posts
I'd leave them permanently in the three. Does she not have a tank set-up you can use?

I'd still be leery of putting them in with my Betta and wouldn't risk it. Fish can carry diseases and show no symptoms but stress them and.... kapow! Or, they can carry and show no symptoms but your boy becomes stressed and gets sick.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I asked her to call me as soon as she could but I fear she may have fallen asleep lol I will ask her about the set up they are in and if not then I will just plan on using the 3gal. Thank you for your help :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts