Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my Hamster died I am feeling that our household could need a new furry friend , but this time I want an animal that wil live for some time. I have always liked the look of rabbits, but thought of them as scared and unsociable.
Lately I have found this to not be the case and I am wanting a little dwarf rabbit more than ever :)

I feel researching is the way to go with any animal, so do any of you know of a great rabbit forum?

Any other thoughts or tips about keeping a bunny?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I had a rabbit for like 4 years, there great little pets
they can stink, and they do chew on stuff
but as long as you have the time there great pets

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I deffo have enough time to spend with the rabbit :) And I wil be setting up a puppypen as a cage I think, I feel the cages you get in the petstores are sooo small! :eek: And ofc, I will have to bunnyproof our appartment so cables and skirting are well hidden from sharp teeth ;) I also plan on neutering the bunny as that is supposed to lessen any odor.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
yea, most cages are waayy to small, kinda like a betta in a bowl instead of a tank..so sad:(

I kept mine outside in his own cage since my mom wouldn't let me keep his cage inside, so I can't comment on the neutering thing other then I've heard the same thing But boy can they stink !
my rabbits favorite foods were bananas and kale haha.
sounds like you're gonna be a great owner!
goodluck!:)

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah they are just too small to keep a rabbit in, as they need room to use their muscular hind legs. If a rabbit sit in a small cage for as little as 6 months they can develop osteoporosis and permanent joint stiffness :(
with giving the rabbit room to move away from you if it wants you also end up with a tamer pet ;)

Rabbits have the same need to mark their territory as dogs and cats have, so they urine mark, in unaltered rabbits (both male and female) this will smell if you are not vigilant with cleaning. In altered bunnies the urge to scentmark is almost non existent and the urine will smell less due to the loss of scent producing hormones. This is why you should alwasy spay or neuter your pet rabbit. it also has health benifits as female rabbits have a high chance of getting ovarian cancer, the numbers vary but some say as many as 80% of females get it when left unaltered.

my rabbit will be a house bunny, and they say that with a good hygene schedual and neutering/spaying they do not smell at all. A good idea is to keep the hay in or above the litterbox as the rabbit will sit and munch on the hay while pooping. they love to poop while they eat so that sounds like a really good idea to me ;)

Thank you! I have done loads of research now, and have still some alot to learn, but I feel that I soon wil be ready to adopt a rabbit :)

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
How exciting! I love rabbits, and my family has owned them my whole life. My current rabbit, Clover, is 11 years old right now and still going strong! She is deaf, but she's been deaf her whole life. My last one passed away at 11, but I'm really hoping Clover and her sister (my sister's rabbit) Buttercup make it longer.

Some recommendations:
A flexible baby gate to take your bunny outside in (only with supervision of course) is a really great thing to have! Mine always love getting to stretch her legs outside and nibble on the grass.
Don't use cedar, at all, ever. Despite what many people think, it is poisonous to your rabbit.
Always provide your bunny with wood to chew on. We have a plum tree in our yard that we prune for wood for our rabbits. It's good to have nice thick sections for them to chew on, but ours also enjoy thin whippy branches with the leaves and twigs still on. I think apple wood is another that's great for rabbits.
Be careful what veggies you feed it. Things like iceberg lettuce, carrots (yes, I did say carrots), and broccoli are terrible for them! Some veggies and fruits are okay in moderation. Their main diet, however, should be a quality pellet and hay. Some treats we've given our rabbits are carrot tops and apple slices. They also adore dandelions, but don't feed the dandelion flowers if you have a white rabbit. They'll stain its coat.
Trim nails regularly. Just as important to do with a rabbit as it is to do with a dog.
The proper way to carry a rabbit (at least until it's comfortable with you) is with one hand gripping the scruff, and the other on its bottom, the rabbit then tucked under your arm with its eyes covered so it can't see. This position helps prevent dropping the rabbit if it kicks. Not being able to see also calms it. (my rabbit is so used to me, however, that I can carry her pretty much any way I want. Including on my shoulder, or cradled in my arms like a baby).
Since your planning on keeping your rabbit inside, this won't be as much of an issue, but here's a few things about weather:
Wind is not good for them. Keep your rabbit out of the wind. If it's really windy outside, don't take your rabbit out that day.
And heat. Heat is bad as well. A rabbit that is too hot will stretch out on its belly and pant. Frozen water bottles will help keep your bunny nice and cool. If your rabbit is way too hot and you need to cool it down quickly, wipe its ears down with cold water. That's where the blood comes closest to the skin, and it will cool it down the quickest. Whatever you do, never spray a hot rabbit with water. That will cause its coat to clamp down and hold the heat in even more.

My personal favorite breed is the Holland Lop. I did 4-H with my rabbits (a club for kids in which you show your rabbit, in this case, and learn how to properly care for them) and I've met and handled close to every rabbit breed, lol. In my opinion, the Holland Lop is the cutest. And in my experience, they're the friendliest.

Anyway, keep us posted! I'm super excited to see pictures when you get your rabbit!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Oh! I forgot to add that it is possible to walk a rabbit on a leash. Not all rabbits will handle this well, though, and you should stay in the safety of your yard. If you want to try walking your rabbit, it must first be super comfortable with you. Then get a cat harness (because their shoulders are narrow like a cat) and get your rabbit slowly used to it. Start with laying it on the floor near your rabbit, then draping it over the rabbit, and then finally putting it on. Let it get used to that before you pick up the leash and try walking it. Walking my rabbit Clover, mostly consists of following her around and either picking her up or gently guiding her away from areas I don't want her to go.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know! Its sooo exciting I am all a tremble! XD

Thank you for very usefull information :D I have gathered that rabbits eat manely hay,and that carrots should only be given as a tiny treat. And any vegetables should be introduced slow and in small amounts.
Will deffo be getting a playpen to bring outside when the weather alows, we have a few apple trees on the property so maybe my landlord will be ok with me pruning them abit ;)

The Holland Lop is actually the breed I am going to get!! Great to hear that they are good bunnies. I love how cute their little faces look!

Omg I cant wait!! I feel so happy about this, I miss Fenris so much that I really need a new little fluffbum to pour all my love into ^_^

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
You're welcome! Rabbits are such fun and frequently underrated pets. Lol! Just like bettas.

Oh yay! :) I'm sure you will love your new little friend once you get it!

Hay is good to have with them all/most of the time, but it's also very, very important to feed a high quality pellet.

Are you going to try litter box training? I've never done that, as all mine have been outside in a hutch, but I've heard of many people doing so.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am going to litter train my rabbit for sure, I have heard its really easy to do, especially when neutered. The trick is to have the hay in or above the litterbox to make it more appealing ;) lol! They like to eat and poop at the same time supposedly xD As a cage liner (or pen in my case) I wil be using polar fleece, this will make the bunny want to keep the soft bedding clean while using the litterbox for eliminating :)
As I have read they should have axcess to hay constantly, and a high quality pellet should only be given at 25grams per 2 kg of rabbit a day. I wil be using oxbow rabbit pellets, they are supposed to be really good.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pic of my rabbit!

Here he is! I am getting him home next week, he is so young poor little mite, just 5 weeks! :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I am going nuts here! Just want to get him home and into the warmth of a caring home!

We have a few ideas, but we have not settled yet. Our choices at this point is : Eddie, Ricky, Sølve( a variation of silver in Norwegian), Ivan, Aaron, smudge and a few more I cant remember right now xD

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Aw he's cute! You seem to have read all the right things about rabbits. Neutering at 6 months will help quell any sexual tension he gets and it should also lessen the stink of his pee.
I have had my rabbit Acacia for 8 and half years, she will be 9 in September and is quite the little booger. She's 3 lbs. I kept a mini rex for about 2 years as well, and in my opinion they are the sweetest loving breed. Hollands are quite nice as well.
Since you are getting a baby, be prepared for the hormonal shift at around 4-5 months. This is when they transform from cute cuddly bunny to savage hormonal jerks. This is why you see so many rabbits for adoption/give away at this age. Thankfully, neutering helps. But be prepared for that change.

Also, baby bunnies should not be given too many veggies. I know the internet is littered with pictures of baby rabbits eating veggies but you should really keep them off veggies until they're close to one year old. Feed alfalfa pellets and alfalfa mix hay while he's young for proper development. Keep treats to a minimum and then only healthy non processed treats. Acacia's favorite treat in the whole world is banana but she only gets the gross black end of one per day.

NEVER bathe your bunny. Absolutely no water should touch him unless you are instructed and advised by a vet.

Find a bunny savvy vet.

Lastly, despite what you hear or see online, NEVER trance your bunny. This is extremely stressful for them and actually a last chance survival mechanism. People think it's cute to trance their bunnies so they can groom them and such but honestly, get a pal t hold bunny and do it the safe way. I knew a girl whose rabbit jumped out of a trance and broke its back and had to be PTS. Such a preventable tragedy.

Rabbits are the world's third most abandoned pet. So I encourage you to adopt your next rabbit if you plan on bonding the little one.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for the pointers :) I have read that babies have a delicate stomach and are very easy to stress out so we wil be very gentle and give him hay and some pellets as food only. I have bought baby rabbit food with alfalfa added, and alfalfa hay. Treats will not be given until he is older, and veggies wil be introduced slowly when he is old enough.

I have found a rabbit savvy vet who also does emergency work and home visits.

Trancing is cruel and I would never do that... Sorry to hear about your friends bunny.

This is an adoption. He is resold by the people who bought him from the breeder at 4 weeks old, they had him only for a week because they wanted a girl instead. So they made an add, which I answered :)
I will ofc adopt my next one to, because I will ofc get him a friend when he is neutered.

I have joined a very good forum, its called RabbitsUnited :)

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you! I hope to be a great bunnymom :D I am trying to learn as much as I can beforemI get him home :)

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is awesome! I love learning, and I believe this will be quite the experiance :)

I am picking him up Thursday :D yaaaaay!!!!

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
***edit: sorry I missed one of your posts but you already know everything I mentioned so ignore me***

5 weeks is too young to be leaving mom, I would say.
That said do not feed this little one anything other than hay and pellets unless he has already been eating that type of veg alongside mom.
Young rabbits are in danger of liver enteritis (sp?) which is no fun to deal with. At that age he will have very little immunity as his immunity comes from being around his mom's poop. I suggest you read up a bit more as you may find more than I know. ;) I had 3 kits develop this as well and it is quite frightening, one was culled as he became anorexic very suddenly and was too far gone, the other two I was told to cull as well but after 6 weeks of treatment (at one point one baby was practically paralyzed) they both ended up healthy. ..

1 - 20 of 43 Posts