Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, so i just started my DIY hatchery and i was wondering if it were possible to raise them to adulthood in the bottle if i just kept the salinity in check, feed them spirnulia algae and did WC every few weeks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes. But don't bother with a water change. Just feed them super sparingly. Water changes tend to really mess with brine shrimp. If the water is really bad smelling- think rotting sea food smell not grungy and green, you can filter the water through a coffee filter, and change a little up. But just raise them to adulthood in the same water unless it's an emergency then restart every once and awhile.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I thought you couldn't use the same water you hatched them in b/c the eggs foul the water? Or maybe you can if you only hatch very few?

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you can raise them in live phytoplankton theyll be more nutritious.
The green water is reusable...the individual plankton cells will regerate in the bottle when exposed to light.
Most species of phytoplankton availabe are good for raising b.s. for feeding.
To harvest..remove air hose...let stand a few minutes and then siphon off the shrimps into a clean bottle. A fine mesh plankton seive will help harvesting them.
Hope this 2 cents worth helps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts