Betta Fish Forum banner

101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
I just fed Picasso and he repeated what he did this morning. He'll eat a couple bites then he rapidly darts away like something scared him or hurt him, I'm not sure what's up with that. I decided to put a dose of Prazipro in the tank to see if it helps, but I doubt that it will. I figure I'll give him every chance I can think of, even if it's a long shot.

·
Super Moderator
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Yesterday I did the first water change on Hendrix's tank, I had meant to do it the day before but was feeling lousy so I put it off. I decided to test the water before doing the change so that I'd know if I should do changes every other day or 2x a week. The ammonia was a bit high so I know I need to do changes every other day. Then I tested the Nitrite lv.... The test turned a lovely shade of deep purple. It seems to be somewhere between 4 or 5ppm. No there's no way on God's green earth that that test should have registered that high UNLESS the tap water containes Nitrite. When I tested the tap, yep it matches what my tank did. Lovely, just lovely, not only am I poisoning my fish when I do water changes, but I'm also poisoning myself and my dog because we drink that tap water! I get to call the water company on Monday, since they are closed today. Thank God I use Prime as my water conditioner since it neutralizes the nitrite. Also that God that all but Hendrix tank is fully cycled. I also did water changes on Lagniappe, and Corky's tank last night, this morning when I tested Lagniappe's water the nitrite reading was already down to .25ppm, so the cycle is taking care of the nitrite.

Until the water company quits trying to poison us with nitrite I'll be dosing my tanks with Prime the day after a water change, and poor Hendrix will get his tank dosed with Prime every day!

I also tested the taps Nitrate level and that was at around 5PPM.

I've decided to give Picasso one more dose of PraziPro to see if it does any good, that means I'll be putting off euthanizing him so that it has a chance to work, if it's going to. I'm not hopeful as he seems to be ever so slowly declining in health, but he's still really interested in food, and has once again started coming to the top when he knows it's feeding time. Fingers crossed.

·
Super Moderator
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Goodbye Picasso. I wish that I could have made you better. I wish that I knew what it was that we couldn't fight off. I'll miss you my marble boy, SIP in that big river in the sky.

I've learned to loath the smell of clove oil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
I know I'm going to have to put Bruiser down in the next day or so. The tumor is finally getting the best of him, he's having a lot of difficulty swimming, is mainly just laying in his plants at the top of his tank, no longer reacts to me, and tonight I noticed he seems to be having more trouble breathing. Even though he does still have a good appetite it's just not fair to him to let him suffer because I hate the idea of putting him down. If he were one of my dogs I know I'd call it quits at this time so how can I do less for him. I love that boy though, and I'm dreading having to get out the clove oil...

On a happier note all the other boys are doing well.

RuPaul seems to be getting more grey in his tail, and he rules his 20 gal.

Lagniappe, is just as feisty as ever, he checks out whatever I'm doing on the kitchen counter, and there's also a pretty good chance he'll flair at me if I put my finger up to the glass.

Corky is my sweet boy and the most laid back and timid. He has a bit of trouble swimming but seems to do well in his 2.5 gal kingdom.

Hendrix seems to really want more room and says he's ready to go in the 10 gal get him out of the 1.5 gal already! I'm still not sure how in the world he ripped his caudal, but he seems to be alright anyway. The 10 gal should be ready for him tomorrow, I've overhauled the tank and think it should be safe for him to go in.

I hate an empty tank, have I ever mentioned that? Knowing the 5 gal will be empty with Bruiser gone and knowing that seeing it empty will just make his loss all the harder I managed to have another betta come home with me. The little guy is going to have some very large fins to fill, but hopefully having him in the 5 gal will make the loss of Bruiser a little easier to bear. God I hate thinking of loosing Bruiser..... Anway, here's a picture of the new guy, I still have to come up with a name for him

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Bruiser ~ Gotcha date 4-07-18, SIP 3-1-20

Today I finally forced myself to end poor Bruiser's suffering, and I dang near backed out of it, but I know 1 day too soon, is better then 1 day too late. I know in my heart he was starting to really suffer. The tumor was taking over more and more every day. It still broke my heart to do it, and I miss the little guy. God, I hate the smell of clove oil. I sincerely hope it's a long, long, long, time before I have to put another fish down.

Goodbye my sweet boy. You won my heart with your spunky attitude, that you somehow managed to pair with a sweet, curious, friendly side. I'll never forget you fighting that bad, ol' filter, or how for the longest time you were so determined to keep your caudal short. Swim free in the River boy, build the biggest bubble nest imaginable, just like you used to, maybe now the "ladies" will finally show up.

First picture, the day I got him.
Second, after his fins had started to grow back.
Third after he found the one blasted thing in the tank to rip his fins on (his filter intake tube)
Fourth after he finally decided to let his fins grow out
I'm not posting a picture of him with the tumor. I prefer to remember him how he was.

Attachments

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hi

I'll be dosing my tanks with Prime the day after a water change,

Prime will bind ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate for 24-48 hours. At which point, if they are still present, will be released back into the water column.

·
Super Moderator
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Hi

Prime will bind ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate for 24-48 hours. At which point, if they are still present, will be released back into the water column.
Yes, I know.

My tap water has over 5ppms of Nitrite in it according to the API Master Test. My towns water company is insisting the water only has around .85ppm of nitrite. I had the local lab that the water company use do a professional test, and their results show that the water has .85ppm of nitirte, BUT I suspect that they are wrong for a variety of reasons. As soon as I can get to the next town over I'm going to get another test done at the lab there.

My tanks are cycled, but using the water from the 20 gal to do water changes on my 1.5 gal quarantine tank has driven up the Nitrates in the 20 gal because I made the mistake of topping it back up with nitrite laden tap water. I'm now topping it up with Spring water BUT I"m still struggling to get the nitrate level back down. It's sort of a vicious cycle. My 10, 5, 3, and 2.5 gal tanks all have good levels, it's just the 20 and 1.5 that I'm fighting with.

When I do a water changes on my tanks I've been dosing the whole tank, not just the new water, with Prime, and on the 20 gal I dose the next day, then every 48 hours.

101 - 108 of 108 Posts