Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been wanting to add a snail to one of my two betta tanks, but couldn't decide which kind of snail I wanted. I want a ramshorn, but I only want one.

I considered getting a nerite, but I don't really like the looks of them and I've read that they're picky eaters.

I also considered getting a mystery snail, but they get pretty big.

If I can find someone who would be willing to sell me one (pink ) ramshorn, could I quarantine it for a while to make sure it doesn't reproduce? If it did, I could squish the eggs, then put the snail in my tank knowing that it wouldn't reproduce after that? Is that how it works or am I crazy?

If that is how it works, how long would I need to quarantine it to be sure it wouldn't reproduce?

I've read about what to feed ramshorns, but any tips there? Basically tell me everything you know about ramshorn care so I can make sure this is the right decision before trying to find someone who will sell me one.

Thanks!

Oh! And I know that there's no guarantee that snails and bettas will get along, but I would like to give it a try. If one betta doesn't like him, maybe the other one will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have about a GAZILLION ramshorn, give or take a few. My bettas give zero freds about them. I've never fed them anything specific, I don't even take care of them tbh. They just kind of do their thing. I will say though, that Xena's tank has never looked better! Almost no brown algae anymore.
They reproduce like monsters though. I'm surprised its cockroaches that are considered indestructible; r amshorns are right up there.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had some brown algae growing on my tank walls lately. I guess from the sun shining in through the window. Even though the tank is across the room. Hopefully if I do get a ramshorn, it can help with that in between weekly cleanings. The pink ones are so darn cute!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm seeing conflicting information. Some sites say they can reproduce asexually and others say they are hermaphroditic, but can't reproduce asexually. Anyone really know which is true?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts