Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I did a 90% water change on male's 10 gallon tank and a 70% change on my females' 10 gallon tank. As I was adding new water to the tank and measuring out my conditioner, I ran out! Unfortunately, I also have my agressive female, Daphne, in an unfiltered 1 gallon bowl for the time being (I know, I know, but at least it's heated!)

Even as a beginner in the hobby, I knew it was stupid to have several tanks going and no backup conditioner on hand. Unfortunately my roommate who shared conditioner with me moved out without telling me which left me with only one bottle and no way to get to a petstore. Luckily, I received a coupon for an API conditioner and picked up a bottle of ammonia eliminator. Before I started these water changes, I ordered a couple bottles of Seachem Prime on Amazon, but unfortunately the soonest they'll be here is this coming Monday.

So for the waterchanges, I substituted the appropriate amount per gallon of ammonia reducer, since it says it dechlorinates, but... do you think my girls will be okay? My girls in the 10 gallon got about 2/3 of the conditioner they needed, with the last 1/3 being ammonia reducer. Daphne unfortunately only had her water treated with ammonia reducer. Will they be okay? I feel so bad about this...

I also wanted to know if changing water conditioner is hard on them? Before my roommate left, I was using some product called "start right," and it said something about aloe vera on the label... Since I've had to use the other conditioner, I've noticed all of their gills seem to be inflamed (the girls have the vertical red marks on their gill covers) and the spiky edges on my male's top fin seem to be curling. They all act healthy--swim around, no stress stripes on the females, minimum if any glass surfng, healthy appetite... my only concern is really the water quality. I haven't been able to test my water quality yet, but I also ordered the API freshwater master kit with my prime.

Another newbie mistake I didn't realize... As I was changing my water, to start the filter I poured some unconditioned tap water through it. Did I just ruin my cycle? x_x

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Well that's problematic.
Okay, try and keep the water clean, and if you use think they are reacting badly to something you added to the water, don't add more. I can't say much, you are in a pickle.
Yes, you did ruin your cycle, if you have Tetra safe start or a bacteria supplement, use that to 'jump start your cycle' as someone on here said.

·
Super Moderator
22,744 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! :wave:

How long have the tanks been set up? It's possible you set your cycle back but you might not have; depends on how long the tank has been cycled/cycling. Remember, there is still nitrifying bacteria in the substrate and on decor. In addition, lots of people add water and then conditioner without ruining the cycle. Just keep an eye on parameters and do a 25% water change when and if Ammonia hits .25ppm. However, the only way to know if your tank is either cycled or cycling or its quality is by doing parameter checks so until you get the kit there's really no way to know.

BTW, as long as you are doing weekly maintenance 25% water changes on a filtered 10 gallon there's never a need to do larger. If you weren't doing weekly water changes it's possible, from their symptoms, your Betta are suffering from Ammonia poisoning.

This will help when you get the API kit and Prime:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=555434

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that's problematic.
Okay, try and keep the water clean, and if you use think they are reacting badly to something you added to the water, don't add more. I can't say much, you are in a pickle.
Yes, you did ruin your cycle, if you have Tetra safe start or a bacteria supplement, use that to 'jump start your cycle' as someone on here said.

Yeah, I really messed up. Luckily they all seem very healthy, if someone was getting over an illness I'd definitely be freaking out (even more than I already am). I'll be sure to keep the water as clean as possible, and I did put in an order for safestart as well. Hopefully I can catch a ride to a petstore. Either way I'm going to be saying a lot of prayers this weekend...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Welcome to the Forum! :wave:

How long have the tanks been set up? It's possible you set your cycle back but you might not have; depends on how long the tank has been cycled/cycling. Remember, there is still nitrifying bacteria in the substrate and on decor. In addition, lots of people add water and then conditioner without ruining the cycle. Just keep an eye on parameters and do a 25% water change when and if Ammonia hits .25ppm. However, the only way to know if your tank is either cycled or cycling or its quality is by doing parameter checks so until you get the kit there's really no way to know.

BTW, as long as you are doing weekly maintenance 25% water changes on a filtered 10 gallon there's never a need to do larger. If you weren't doing weekly water changes it's possible, from their symptoms, your Betta are suffering from Ammonia poisoning.

This will help when you get the API kit and Prime:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=555434
Thanks so much!

Admittedly when I started the tanks, I didn't know all what I was getting into. I thought I knew since I researched bettas a bit before I picked them up, but somehow I missed cycling. So I didn't cycle the tanks before I got them, I think I've had the girls for about a month now, and my boy about two and a half weeks. I've only had the filters for about a week now, but I never did 100% water changes, I diligently clean my tank for uneaten food/waste, and before my last two waterchanges, I always conditioned with safestart which I believe had some of the beneficial bacteria. I don't know how far I'd be into the cycle, and I'm hoping it's not as bad as it seems.

I've always done ~70% water changes weekly before I got the filter, so I think it'd be okay, no one has signs of fin rot or anything, except for my boy's fin curling recently. I can't wait for that stupid water test and prime to get here, I feel so bad that my fish are suffering because of my mistakes. I guess we all mess up sometimes, though, and I certainly won't be making these mistakes again. That thread's super helpful, thank you again!

·
Super Moderator
22,744 Posts
I wouldn't know as much as I do if it hadn't been for the mistakes I made. ;-) Don't feel guilty; you're doing the best you can. If anyone chastens you tell them where to jump. And if anyone says they've never made mistakes they're either lying or suffering from acute memory loss.

If you follow the directions in the sticky I linked you'll do fine. And if someone else does the same thing you did you'll be able to give first-hand help. And experienced help is always a good thing. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts