Betta Fish Forum banner

24281 - 24300 of 24322 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yesterday, I had someone tell me (as they were watching the betta in my 5 g tank on my desk at work) that they have some bettas and but they dont move around as much as mine. Then they said they just left them in the cups they bought them in. :surprise:

I'm at work so I had to be nice, but I did say that they'd move around more if they had more room.

Those poor fish. :frown2:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Multiple rants.

1. I ranted about a month ago about how heat waves result in an illness outbreak every time, and this time it appeared to be lymphocystis. Well, it keeps getting worse. I'm down to four rasboras. I had to euthanize two yesterday. I swear something about it has to be genetic because they all get cysts in the same places in the same order. First, the fish gets pale and the caudal peduncle turns pink, the next day a cyst appears that continues to grow. A couple days later a cyst will appear on the side, and eventually, a very large cyst will arise in the gills. Sometimes the cyst on the peduncle and side burst and begin to heal before the gill cyst kills the fish. When I found two yesterday, one with a cyst pushing out of his and another with half his face collapsed in, I went ahead and euthanized them. Now another fish has a pink spot at the caudal peduncle. This is ridiculous.

2. The biology department has 20 goldfish in a 20 gallon long, ranging in size from 4-5 inches to one inch. At the beginning of the semester, it was 10 in the 20 long and 10 in a 10 gallon. Apparently, they decided that wasn't cruel enough and needed to up the abuse. I've asked multiple people, including the department head, who is in charge of all the animals and no one will tell me. I'm furious.

3. I spent Friday pulling out invasive plants on campus for extra credit in Botany and had to sit and listen to the Biology Club presentation at the end. The instructor was talking about setting up a little self-sustaining ecosystem in a bottle to learn about the nitrogen cycle. I was a little curious, as the picture of the system showed the top half an inverted bottle stuck in another half of an inverted bottle, which was stuck into the bottom half of a bottle. Each of the 3 layers had a couple inches of dirt, a plant stuck out of the top, and the water was brown. Odd, but ok. Then the instructor said they would put fish in it. Fish. Where the **** in that set up is a fish supposed to fit? Where is the heater going to go? That room is so cold that even with a very large jacket you'll shake. At best those bottles will be 2 liters. The fish would maybe, if I'm being generous, get 1 liter of space. Also, since the entire top of the system is supposed to hold a large plant the fish would have to go in the second layer or the very bottom neither of which have any access to air. How is it going to breathe? How are you going to feed it? I doubt they plan on a self-sustaining culture of detritus worms, if that's even possible. Why do you have to torture an animal to learn about the nitrogen cycle? How about you set up an actual decent aquarium! Like, I don't know, maybe a tank that's a few hundred gallons for the fricken goldfish? Undoubtedly it will be either bettas or goldfish subjected to this torture (yes, more than one will be set up).

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
While yes, I agree that 99% of owners should have their dogs spayed and neutered, it seems like desexing has become some sort of miracle cure-all for behavioural and management problems.

None of our three girls are desexed. You know the amount of times they have gotten pregnant? Zero. We couldn't even get our oldest girl pregnant even when we tried, twice! It's called not letting them out of your sight when they are in season (I shudder when I hear people say the bleeding has stopped so it's safe), and not just thinking a baby gate is going to stop a determined male. Our male was intact until he was around 18 months or so, and up until that time he was a well-trained, well-behaved dog. He didn't escape the yard and wander, he didn't attack other dogs, and he would never dare lift his leg in the house. Almost all the males at club are intact as they are show and/or breeding animals, and the only ones that are badly behaved, are those with owners that would have a badly behaved dog whether it was desexed or not.

I notice on forums now that if you have a problem and mention that your dogs aren't desexed, this is usually the first (and sometimes only) suggestion. People also seem to be treated like they have leprosy if they admit to being a simple pet owner and having intact dogs. Spaying and neutering certainly aren't risk free procedures. In fact, early spaying/neutering is now thought to increase the chances of certain cancers and joint disorders.

I think this mindset has worsened with the push to 'Adopt don't Shop'. Being a responsible dog owner, and having intact/entire dogs are not incompatible.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
My rant of the month. So I'm a photographer but in it for a hobby. Taking pictures are fun and relaxing. But ever since my aunt has been into the hobby she tries to one step up me. Don't get me wrong, I am not the best photographer out there but she makes it seem like she's the best one in the family cause she spent alot of money on her lens, camera and she's won money from one photo. Now I don't care if she feels like she is the best but when you are making comments like "some family and friends claim to be photographers, but I won't burst thier bubble." Or "you should get a macro lens for your flower photos, it has won me money on my best shots." Is a little too egotistical in my book.
Maybe I am just over reacting on this, I don't know... but my aunt has been shunning my mother out of things too. gloating that her other sister's are better and states that she loves them but not mentioning anything about my mom and not giving her the same treatment she is giving the other two sisters. This is all on FB and I beginning to hate FB more and more....any thoughts on this? I unfollowed her on fb but have not blocked her yet cause my aunt Is the type to find flaws in my family and use that aginst us.
For instance, she gets mad if my mom or I don't reply within minutes of her post that are added on fb and thinks we hate her.
Now I have issues with my aunts because my other aunt wanted a painting of her dog that passed on and gave me a photo to use. I showed her the finished painting and she loved it. Soon after she got it, she turned around and hated it and told my mom that I hated her because it looks bad. Told mom that the other paintings I've done looked much better. I have tried to explain to my aunt why it was hard to use one photo too use for reference and told her I can fix it. But instead, she blocks me and throws away the canvas... my hard work.... thanks aunts. You're the best!

Rant of the month over.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
I don't really have much contact with my dad's side of the family because of hurtful things that were said in the past, among other things. My grandmother could be very cold. She hated my mother (even more so after my parents divorced) and it was very clear that she favoured her daughter's children over us. It used to upset me when I was younger, until it got to a point where I realised I don't care what she thinks. Even though they live about about a ten minute drive from us, I see them maybe twice a year.

It sounds like your Aunt knows exactly what she is doing. I hate passive-aggressiveness. With these sorts of people I think it's best to either confront them and have an honest discussion about how you feel, or cut contact to a bare minimum.

You can't choose your family, but you can certainly choose the influence they have over your life.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Thanks for the help LittleBettaFish. My mom and her sister that is causing the problem used to be very close. Not sure what happened but it all went down hill and now they don't talk at all on the phone like they used too. although my mom can be just as bad as her sisters some times so karma is nipping her in the butt right now. I tell her to "Let It Go" yet my mom keeps going right back in the middle of the drama. I mean I really don't care about my moms side of the family as long as they leave us out of their problems. (which they aren't) If this keeps up, I will have a word with my aunts daughter because she is sick of this stuff just as much as I am. I will either tell her to talk some sense into your mother or I will end up blocking her for good and she will not be apart of this family ever.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I understand that having family who do not understand or support the aquarium hobby is nothing new. Many on here have that problem.

But I have to voice some of mine:
I've had the media cycling for the 20 long sorority I've been wanting to set up for almost a month. The tank itself, however, I had to wait until my paycheck to purchase, and then it came in a bit late. (I HAD to ship it as 20 longs are not carried by any store in my area). I was SO HAPPY. I was grinning and laughing from the moment I saw that big box on my doorstep, and brought the tank into the house...

...Now, I am a 20 year old women. I am already "the family dissapointment" as college did not work out, and after only a year, I came back home. I pay rent+my living expenses, I dogsit and clean their house...but tensions are still high, and many awful things have been said.

But my mother, from her over-stuffed reclining chair, looked at me and told me that the 20 gallon I was so happy to get was the biggest mistake of my life, and that all the money and time she "invested" in me had been a waste.

She then retreated into her room to cry, which means dad will likely scream at me when he get's back, and may threaten to kick me out of the house, or not feed me again, despite me paying rent and covering the cost of my own food etc.

I'm used to being told terrible stuff. I'm USED to being told that things I care about don't matter...but I've been loving bettas and wanting to have a sorority and breed them since I was 9...
...even as a grown women, being told that childhood dreams finally becoming reality is "The biggest mistake of my life"
hurts.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
If you can pay rent at your parents house, why can't you move out and pay rent at your own house? I think that would be the best soloution ;).

·
Registered
140 Posts
If you can pay rent at your parents house, why can't you move out and pay rent at your own house? I think that would be the best soloution ;).
They charge less for rent then the places around here, and I have school bills and medical bills to pay...plus I can't drive.
X'D

I'm stuck for now. Hopefully, I can get things at least MOSTLY settled and be out of here by next year...but for now, I'm afraid I have to deal with a bunch of...well, this.

·
Super Moderator
18,320 Posts
I learned a long time ago that those who have to put another person on the defensive to win an argument or who have to be negative deserve to be ignored. Just say "Thank you for your opinion; I'll take it into consideration." I've found that works when I'm trying to be nice.

Of course, a child can't tell a parent who's helping support them my most used line: "If I valued your opinion I would have asked for it." But keep that in your brain for later in life.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
oh man that frustrating Angeliza. I hope things get better you ya! that tank will be amazing o-O

I have issues with my mom as well even though SHE LIVES WITH ME! After my father died she has been living with us. My dad always took care of her and he even was frustrated with my mom at times. My mom complains that the house is always a mess and makes comments under her breath that make me want to smack her. (the house is not a mess she is just being dramatic) there will be a fork out of place and she would freak. she's gotten better though. You would think that she goes work and help us with the bills. oh no... she doesn't work and plays on FB all day long. Granted she does clean the house at times but she complains about it. Pfft. My sister Tammy told me she would rather see mom stay at home and clean house than work. Both Tammy and I work two jobs. I have told mom many times "if you have an issue with our living style, there's the door" she never leaves cause she knows we are the only ones that will take her in. I love my mother, but sometimes I wish she would just go get work and get out of the house.

Russel, I agree. that or don't say anything and the person deletes the comment cause I did not reply to it. LOL (true story)

·
Registered
140 Posts
oh man that frustrating Angeliza. I hope things get better you ya! that tank will be amazing o-O

I have issues with my mom as well even though SHE LIVES WITH ME! After my father died she has been living with us. My dad always took care of her and he even was frustrated with my mom at times. My mom complains that the house is always a mess and makes comments under her breath that make me want to smack her. (the house is not a mess she is just being dramatic) there will be a fork out of place and she would freak. she's gotten better though. You would think that she goes work and help us with the bills. oh no... she doesn't work and plays on FB all day long. Granted she does clean the house at times but she complains about it. Pfft. My sister Tammy told me she would rather see mom stay at home and clean house than work. Both Tammy and I work two jobs. I have told mom many times "if you have an issue with our living style, there's the door" she never leaves cause she knows we are the only ones that will take her in. I love my mother, but sometimes I wish she would just go get work and get out of the house.
Yeah...they've threatened to kick me out for not organizing my necklace, and disconnected my cellphone from their cell-service for talking to people online while eating breakfast. o.0

Parents can be weird...but it's even weirder when it's YOUR house, my goodness...I feel for you, Tree. X'D

Update: mom has threatened to throw any other fish that come in into the garbage...luckily she'll be at work tomarrow when the VT I purchased comes in. It also looks like I'm the only bidder for a lovely CT from Prism Bettas as well (I'm not at all a crown tail fan, but no one else was bidding, and she has such a DARLING little face...)

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
oh man. and yeah they sure sure are weird.

hope your fish made it into the house with no issue. <3

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
GASP! goes and looks*

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
Ugh, so over fence-fighting/fence-running dogs. It's getting to the point where someone's going to get an e-collar put on. It doesn't help that the neighbours never stop their dog from running the fence, so while I'm trying to redirect and calm ours, theirs is still on the other side of the fence carrying on.

Then we have the senile dog next door that stands in its yard seemingly barking at nothing.

Life in the suburbs, surely make you lose your mind!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Rant/ traumatized

One of my dwarf pencilfish has always been weak and skinny, but he was a fighter and survived with a little extra attention during feeding time.

He was my favorite. I named him Skinny.

Stormy, my giant betta, just swallowed him whole. Then spit out the tail and ate it again. He's such a big fish that his stomach doesn't even show any signs that he just ate a whole fish. I'm hoping Stormy only ate him because Skinny was weak. He's never shown any interest in any of the healthy fish.

I can't believe that just happened.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
I hate when pet stores try to mislead customers about where they source their puppies from by using terms like 'registered breeder'. Fact of the matter is, no ethical, responsible breeder would ever supply a pet store with puppies.

I just read news about a new 'dog breeding facility' being proposed here in Australia. It's going to contain 20 whelping kennels so you can imagine how many puppies will be produced yearly at this facility.

It just amazes me how people can be fooled by a slick website and some photos of happy dogs. All the backlash against puppy farms seems to have done is make them smarter with how they market themselves nowadays.

24281 - 24300 of 24322 Posts