Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I recently dealt with Velvet disease with two different bettas in two different tanks. I will give some background on both situations:
1st tank was a 5 gallon with a filter, heater, airstone, and a couple live plants. It housed my betta and a bristlenose pleco. The pleco was only in my tank temporarily until my mom could figure out where to put it as she recently downsized a tank and her large 20 gallon already had a pleco. I had never dealt with velvet before, or even seen it, so I was not fast enough at treating my tank before I lost the betta. I tried to save the pleco, but I wasn't able to get the medication in time. He seemed fine at first, but it was hard to see the gold dust since he had a gold-ish iridescence to him. It wasn't obvious until it was much too late. I was also dealing with an algae problem in the tank as well.

After I lost both the fish, I tore down the 5 gallon tank. The plants seemed healthy and were pretty new, so I put them in a cup of clean water and quarantined them for about 3 weeks. I read that velvet can't live without a host for very long, so I assumed that quarantining the plants would be enough. During that time, I got another betta. I quarantined him in a small 1gallon tank with a heater and airstone. I kept him in quarantine for about 3 weeks and he seemed extremely healthy and did not develop any problems in that time.
While I decided what to do with my 5 gal tank, I set up a temporary 2 gallon (maybe 2.5gal?) tank with a new airstone, new tubing, new heater, new substrate, new everything. This tank didn't have a filter, so I was doing 25-30% water changes once a week and monitoring with test strips. I decided to add the plants to the tank, along with a couple new ones.

About a week and a half ago, I noticed a small white dot on my betta's head. I treated the entire tank with Imagitarium Parasite Remedy, following the dosing instructions for three total treatments (on dose every other day). It says it treats velvet, ich, and two other parasite diseases. After the final treatment I noticed that the white spot was gone, and I planned to do a water change the next day. The next day is when I noticed that his coloring looked off. I noticed a gold-ish coloring around his gills and on his fins when I shone a flashlight on him. I immediately set him up in the 1gal quarantine tank with the airstone and heater. I added aquarium salt, started another dose of the parasite remedy, and covered the tank with a black cloth. I ordered Coppersafe and Copper test strips. The Coppersafe would get here next day, and the test strips the day after. I was nervous to start the copper without being able to test the levels, and the following day my fish was dead. I regret not starting the copper right away, but I was afraid of doing more harm by not being able to test.

So, I just cleaned my 5 gallon with 1:1 vinegar and water, as well as everything that was in the tank at the time. I then let it bake in the Arizona sun for 2 days. My question now, is what do I do with the 2.5 gallon tank? Do I throw everything out, plants included? I read that you can sterilize plants with a 3% hydrogen peroxide dip. I also had a piece of driftwood from my lfs in the tank, would it be possible to save that? Maybe by boiling? I really would like to get another fish but I can't keep dealing with this issue, especially if it's me that's introducing it back into the tank :(
If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. Thanks for taking the time to read!

Also, unsure if it matters, but both bettas were blue, and it seems that blue ones tend to be more susceptible to certain things?

I dont' have any parameters or info for the 5 gallon tank unfortunately
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 2.5
Does it have a filter? no
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? 82F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes, airstone
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? no

Food:
What food brand do you use? Atison's Betta Pro
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 3-4 pellets twice a day

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of water did you change? 25-30%
What is the source of your water? Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Seachem Prime

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH:7.5
Hardness (GH): 120-180
Alkalinity (KH): 80

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 6/01, noticed white dot on top of head. Sunday 6/06 noticed gold-ish coloration and rapid breathing, less active. Passed away 6/08
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Noticed pale/gold-ish scales around gill area and under his chin, underside of body.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Very active, flaring when he saw me, no change until the last day. Night before he was not active, would not eat, laid at bottom of the tank.
Is your Betta still eating? Suddenly stopped eating the night before he died, otherwise ate fine until then
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Treated with Imagitarium Parasite Remedy, 3 full doses. Then moved to quarantine tank on 6/06 with AQ salt and another dose of Parasite Remedy while waiting for medication to arrive
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? no
How long have you owned your Betta? March 23rd 2021, about 2 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? no, seemed very healthy and active

Unfortunately I didn't think to get any pictures

·
Super Moderator
22,487 Posts
Even if you've answered some of the questions in text, please fill out this form in its entirety. Also, include photos of the Betta you believe had/have Velvet. Was the area mostly on their undersides? Thank you.

FWIW, I've had a lot of blue Betta and never noticed them having any more issues than other colors.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even if you've answered some of the questions in text, please fill out this form in its entirety. Also, include photos of the Betta you believe had/have Velvet. Was the area mostly on their undersides? Thank you.

FWIW, I've had a lot of blue Betta and never noticed them having any more issues than other colors.
Thank you for responding. I updated the post with the form info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts