Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm ready to try my hand at maintaining planted aquariums.

I use sponge filters and have heaters. However, I use 4.5/5 gallon kritter keepers and I'm not sure how exactly to go about planting those, and I especially do not know what to do about the lighting situation.

How should I go about this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
951 Posts
You'd plant those the exact same way as you'd plant any other aquarium. Get your substrate, add root tabs and put your plants in.

I'm assuming kritter keepers don't come with lights. Neither did any of my tanks so this is what I done: I went out to a store which sells home stuff, I think in America it would be something like Home Depot. Bought the cheapest desk lamps I found (£3 each, that's about 4.50 dollars) and got bulbs to match. The bulbs were actually more expensive than the lamps themselves, at £5 each (7.50 dollars). You need bulbs that have the right colour temperature: 6500K is good and relatively easy to find in stores. It should tell you what colour temperature the bulb is at the back of the packet. It's good practice to replace the bulbs every year.

I've stacked some books behind the tanks and put the lamps on top so the plants get light from above as they should.

Obviously there are other alternatives (such as clip-on aquarium lights), but I personally like to save money where possible and found that this is a much cheaper way.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts