Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I currently have a 10gal full of rocks (props and decor), java moss, a few fake plants, and a couple of hideaways. Add 3 ADFs and 3 female bettas, and there's a small peaceful community. I'll note that the other 2 females died a few weeks ago as they were deformed and were pity purchases (I ended up getting a 75% off discount on them-- woohoooooo), they were also stunted and I knew they'd die.

The 3 that have been living together since then are extremely peaceful, but since they're unpredictable I knew I'd have to get more fish to disperse aggression (even though there are 0 fin rips, no flaring, etc).

Today I bought 4 females, they're all about 1/4+ inch bigger than my 3 girls I already have. They're also REALLY aggressive. They're in a 5gal together, and I completely STOCKED it with all the fake plants I could find in the house-- lemme tell you, that thing is packed and even though there's swimming room there's enough to give nice hiding places to avoid fights etc.

All 4 girls were fed before being put in the tank, but they're soooo aggressive. For now they're called 1, 2, 3, and 4, because I haven't named them

1 is the largest, yellow fish. She's been really assertive. 4 is the least dominant, very shy, and she's very panicky around the others. She has no fin tears yet, but the other 3 girls now have rather ripped fins (from flaring I think) and are really going at each other. There are no open wounds or scales missing but they will NOT leave eachother alone.

I'm scared to put them in with my other girls-- the original 3 are so peaceful and I'm afraid to see them get hurt (honestly I adore them and I paid more $$ for them since they're CTs, but I try not to have favorites), and plus once the aggression fizzles out (unless it doesn't....) in the 5gal, I'll have to stick them all together in a group of 7 and watch it happen again :/

One thing I'd like to do is put them all in a 20gal instead, therefore they'd have plenty more room, but I don't have half as many decorations as I'd need to keep them happily hidden. I've only got enough to fill about 1/2 of the 10gal and the whole 5gal, but it'd be really sparse in the 20g.

I'm just looking for some opinions now, any help would be lovely!

Thank you~

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Honestly I would add in the most docile one and divide a tank for the 3 aggressive ones to live in separately, but then I know just adding one girl is basically saying "look, fresh meat" so I don't know, but if you value your cts I wouldn't add the aggressive ones.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly I would add in the most docile one and divide a tank for the 3 aggressive ones to live in separately, but then I know just adding one girl is basically saying "look, fresh meat" so I don't know, but if you value your cts I wouldn't add the aggressive ones.
Maybe if I got a TON of plants and decorations and fed each one heavily beforehand it would be alright? I'd love to be able to have them all living in the 20gal together but by the looks of it that isn't happening without a lot of shredded fins. None of the 4 girls are really going at each other (after 3 hours of scuffling it's about time) anymore, but they all have shredded fins except for the least dominant girl.

Also, before I saw girls #1 and #2 literally lip-locked....they were "biting" each other's mouths and were stuck together for over a minute before I tapped the tank and they swam away from eachother. I don't know what that meant and if it was fighting or something? It was pretty weird.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Uuuhhh thats "I'm sick of biting your tail and getting bitten I'm gonna bite your jaw off" I think. If they calm down then maybe you can gently introduce them all (like let the. See each other but not fight?)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.