Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I don't think many people use top fin products, but I thought I'd share the news. Recently, Petsmart sent out an email notifying people that some Top fin products may shock you and your fish. Here are the following items:
Top Fin 10 Filter 5236226 737257619920
Top Fin 20 Filter 5236225 737257619937
Top Fin 30 Filter 5235923 737257619791
Top Fin 40 Filter 5235924 737257619906
Top Fin 75 Filter 5236227 737257619913
Top Fin 5.5G Aquarium Kit (Filter Only) 5166072 737257906600
Top Fin 10G Aquarium Kit (Filter Only) 5003268 737257907669

PetSmart is offering a refund/replacement for all these items. Thank you! Stay safe!

· Registered
3,229 Posts
my 5.5g kit doesn't match the UPC given by petsmart so we dodged a bullet. The filter works fine in mine. Hope no one had any losses or injuries due to malfunctioning equipment though.

· Registered
235 Posts
Oh dear, thanks for posting this! I haven't gotten an email, that I have seen anyway, but I will be checking the upc on my sons Top Fin 5.5 filter tomorrow as it is the Top Fin one. So if the upc doesn't match its not included in the recall?

I thought it was strange when overnight my Petsmart and the one about 20 miles away from me both pulled the 5.5 kit from the shelves. Now it makes sense.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh dear, thanks for posting this! I haven't gotten an email, that I have seen anyway, but I will be checking the upc on my sons Top Fin 5.5 filter tomorrow as it is the Top Fin one. So if the upc doesn't match its not included in the recall?

I thought it was strange when overnight my Petsmart and the one about 20 miles away from me both pulled the 5.5 kit from the shelves. Now it makes sense.
I think so. If the UPC doesn't match, it might not have been made during the defective manufacturing, so it might be fine, but don't quote me on this, haha. I'd take it back just to be safe, there's no harm in that hopefully!

I'm glad I was able to bring this to people's attention! Hope everyone's fishies are safe and sound!

· Registered
235 Posts
I think so. If the UPC doesn't match, it might not have been made during the defective manufacturing, so it might be fine, but don't quote me on this, haha. I'd take it back just to be safe, there's no harm in that hopefully!

I'm glad I was able to bring this to people's attention! Hope everyone's fishies are safe and sound!
Yeah, that's what I am going to do. I kept the aquarium box and the upc doesn't match but I threw away the filter box that was inside and that is probably the upc I need. I called Petsmart about it and they told me to just go ahead and bring it in.

Mommacita, as long as you transfer the old filter media to the new filter, your tank should stay cycled. Just make sure when you remove the media to return the filter try to keep it submerged in a cup with some tank water so the beneficial bacteria will survive.

· Registered
452 Posts
I work at Petsmart and for the filters, it is a new style that they just released ( and immediately recalled)

These are the old style, and are fine

I ant find a photo of the new model,but it looks quite different. And i you havent bought one in liek the past month you are most likely safe, but definitely check your UPC

· Registered
47 Posts
This is unfortunate because it's a pretty solid deal for a 5.5 gal with a filter and light. I would have 100% upgraded to that tank because it's rectangular as opposed to the bowfront I have coming in the mail. :( All the shops around here have pulled them all off the shelves though.

· Registered
55 Posts
I bought this kit a few months ago and the filter was wayyyyy to strong for my beta and I could not find a way to baffle it enough. Now I have two little wisper filters in my tank, should I still bring the filter into my pet smart?

· Registered
212 Posts
Bring ALL topfin filters back!

I just spoke with the manager at our petsmart. He said not to worry about upc codes, just bring top fin filters back. THANK YOU for the tip to save filter media on cycled tanks! The manager said it would be replaced with a tetra brand that holds the same size media cartridges.

· Registered
212 Posts
I work at Petsmart and for the filters, it is a new style that they just released ( and immediately recalled)

These are the old style, and are fine

I can't find a photo of the new model,but it looks quite different. And i you havent bought one in liek the past month you are most likely safe, but definitely check your UPC
I asked the manager if any style was safe and he said no. Bring them all back. Better safe than sorry!

· Registered
235 Posts
I took mine back a couple days ago. It was the old style but when I called they recommended me to still bring it back in case. They replaced it with a aqueon filter. It is a little bigger and barely fits in the alloted section of my tank lid. It also seems more powerful and harder to baffle. All in all it seems like a quality filter but I kind of miss the Top Fin 10 filter. But I agree with the others, better safe than sorry.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.