Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
One of my favorite Betta books is-"Bettas A Complete Introduction" by Walt Maurus a TFH publication....I have two of them and the one I like best is the 2003 copy-not sure the year it was written...It does have some outdated information- but general information is pretty good and I think you can get it for under $5.00 on Amazon-I got the other one at a thrift store last year for 50 cents....my first one was falling apart- but oddly enough some information was different even with the books being the same.....

I also have one by Barron's publication called "Bettas A complete Pet Owner's Manual" written by Robert J. Goldstein Ph.D...not real impressed......but the genetic information is more updated than the one written by Walt Maurus.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you don't find the book OFL recommends, honestly I think you'd learn at least as much just by reading the stickys in each of the forums here. They're loaded with information, and (the part I like best) sometimes controversy! The nice thing about having so many different opinions from experienced fish owners is that it gives you a lot of options to try depending upon your situation.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, I have read all of the stickies in the Betta forum! I just want a book so I have all the info in front of me at one glance as opposed to hunting the forum or the internet. :) I managed to snag a copy of the book for a whopping penny through an online used bookstore. WOOHOO! $4 after shipping, not bad!

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Can you post a link of the used book store... thats a GREAT price!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was this site

http://owlsbooks.com/

But, I did a search for Bettas and only one book came up (for $1.69 I think). I did a search for betta maurus to include the authors last name and got the book I was looking for. So their search is a little whacky but if you know the title or author you might have better luck.

I looked on Amazon and found the book through them, shipped by that Owls Books. And it was $4.99 plus shipping. Having sold books on Amazon myself at one point I knew that Amazon gets a cut so the sellers will have higher prices when selling through Amazon. So I went straight to the source instead. Got lucky:)

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Yikes... Sold out on Owls Books... and it was 14.95 + shipping on Ebay....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I got the only one they had in stock. But there was another book on there about Bettas for $1.69. Not sure if that one is any good or not. I couldn't even find it on Ebay when I looked.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I had to type in "betta maurus"
Ug, lol, hopefully they get some more in stock!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Try doing what I did and go into Amazon and find it. Then look at the sellers that have it for sale used and try to locate their direct website. It will be cheaper direct through them (more often than not) than through Amazon so you may luck up like I did:)

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have these books:
1. Bettas: A Complete Introduction by Walt Maurus
2. Bettas by Marshall E. Ostrow
3. Your Happy Healthy Pet: Betta(2nd Edition) by John H. Tullock
4. Quick and Easy Betta Care by T.F.H. Publications
5. Bettas: A Complete Pet Owner's Manual by Robert J. Goldstein, Ph.D.
6. Siamese Fighting Fish: Care, Selection, Breeding by Gene A. Lucas, Ph.D.
7. The Betta Handbook by Robert J. Goldstein, Ph.D.
8. Animal Planet Aquarium Care of Bettas by David E. Boruchowitz
9. Caring for Betta Fish: An Insider's Guide for Betta Lovers by Marcus Song

I especially like the Animal Planet book, Goldstein's Bettas: A Complete Pet Owner's Manual, Quick and Easy Betta Care and Song's book, which costs around $26; perhaps it can be had for less. A few of these I have not read yet. Several came through Amazon Marketplace, and the Lucas book came from IBC.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.