Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I currently have a 5.5 gallon heated tank with silk plants. I have my one Betta fish in it, and he loves it! I've been holding off on getting a heater because I don't have a lot of money due to being a broke college student, but it's getting really tedious to have to clean the debris with my net. I currently change the tank 2 times a week with a 50% water change since my tank isn't cycled.

Do you guys have an good filters for a 5.5 gallon tank that is easy to set up and inexpensive? I'll need a very silent one too since I have roommates. I've heard the sponge filters with an air pump are very good, but I'm not sure how successful they are at cleaning debris and keeping a tank clear. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I really don't know about that "cheap" part TBH. A filter is the heart of a tank. You don't want a flimsy one. Mine is a hob filter; Tetra Whisper 10i. The flow is pretty strong for a 5.5 gal but it has been a year now and it still works perfectly fine. I remember it was $40.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have the Azoo Palm filter set up in a 3.5 gallon tank and I love it. It was recommended to me by another member on this forum. From the videos I have watched on YouTube people have also used it in 5 gallon tanks successfully. My tank is fully cycled so it is also big enough to sustain a cycle and one of the things I love about it is it has an adjustable flow so no need to baffle the filter. Also a huge plus is the price, it is $6.99 at Drs Foster and Smith's website. Here is the link...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9821

One thing I would recommend is changing out some the filter media and using something different. I kept one of the sponges it comes with but then added some biomax to help give better biological filtration. The biomax was around $3.00 at Petsmart.

I have also seen some internal filters highly recommended on here by some members and those were around $10.00 or so I believe. But I can't remember the brand. If you look around this section you may could find them.

Hope this helps some. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just looked and I had the internal filter I have seen recommended on here bookmarked since I am hoping to eventually get one for a tank I have that doesn't have room for a HOB filter. It supports tanks up to 20 gallons and is priced at $13.49 so still pretty reasonable. The only downfall is it would take up a bit more room in your tank. As for the flow I have seen it suggested that you aim the spray bar to the back of the tank and it will make the flow suitable for a betta. Here's the link...

http://www.truaqua.com/aquarium-internal-filter-if-202.html

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
but it's getting really tedious to have to clean the debris with my net
May I ask what sort of debris? A filter may not be of any use if its betta poop for example, because if the current is strong enough to pick up the betta poop its way too strong for the fish.
Maybe gravel vacuuming would be a better option.
Quite a number of members here run unfiltered tanks without too much trouble.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahh, thank you all so much! I'll look into the azoo palm and Aquatop, they look very good! By debris I meant poop and some food particles, haha! My fish likes to spit out his food and eat it again to soften it, he's such a messy eater, xD. I've just been using my fish net to swirl the water and catch up what I can. There's no substrate, but it's still a pain in the neck! I was hoping maybe a filter would clean it for me, but if a strong one is bad for my fishy, I will go with a weaker one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts