Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This spawn log is for my hmpk pair, Aphrodite (F) and Eros (M). The fry are 5 weeks old as of today, and I decided to make a spawn log to celebrate the beauty of these little ones! If anyone is interested in more detailed information about this spawn let me know and I’d be happy to share (I’ve kept detailed notes, lol)!

I used a father-in method for this spawn, so he remained with the fry until 7 days after they hatched. He was fed on the day the fry became free swimming, and then twice every day after that. Here are some significant dates for this spawn:

8/30 - Spawning occurred (after only 4 hours of releasing the female!)
9/1 - Eggs hatched
9/2 - Fry became free swimming
9/8 - Eros was removed
9/12-9/13 - all fins (except for ventrals) became visible (ventrals developed, just not at this stage).
9/17-9/18 - Iridescence started showing
9/24 - Swim bladders forming
10/2 - Some red and black showing, most fry are about 0.5” in size

And some pictures!

Eros (copper hmpk):
Eye Fin Underwater Fish Marine biology

Fin Underwater Organism Fish Fish supply

Aphrodite (koi hmpk):
Liquid Azure Fluid Fish Underwater

Fin Underwater Fish Marine biology Creative arts

“Showing off” and spawning:
Purple Natural environment Organism Pink Violet

Plant Organism Liquid Wood Water

Fry (not sure why the pictures are out of order, but hopefully you guys get the point haha):

Water Liquid Fluid Marine biology Fish

Purple Petal Violet Freezing Groundcover

Liquid Water Eye Fluid Fin

Water Vertebrate Plant Fluid Fin

A special thanks to @FairyFishTales for all of the information about raising fry!

Thanks for looking! 😀

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow!! Keep me posted! This is very interesting
Thanks! I’ll be sure to post updates, I’m pretty excited about these guys 😃

Love the color on that male!
Thank you! He’s definitely one of the more beautiful fish I’ve owned… I really love his color and his form!

Me too!
And congratulations on your spawn!
Thank you! I’m really excited about this spawn, I’m looking forward to seeing how the babies look as adults!

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Do you know the male‘s genetic background/parents?
I actually don’t, but some of his siblings were also for sale when I got him. They looked identical in terms of color, there were just slight variations in form (one had longer ventrals, another didn’t have as nice of a dorsal, etc.). Eros was the nicest, strongest looking one (imo) so that’s why I chose him. I’d assume, since all of the siblings I saw were the same in terms of color, that he came from a copper or maybe even metallic line. But I can’t be sure. I mostly chose him for his form if I’m being honest haha (and he turned out to be a pretty awesome dad, too)!

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
so beautiful :love:
Thank you so much! I love these guys 🥰

Are you going to sell them? (the fry)
Yes, I’m guessing there are about 100 fry right now and as much as I’d like to keep them all, that’s simply not plausible haha. I plan on selling them online and maybe to some local fish stores once they reach maturity. I haven’t decided what I’ll charge for them yet though, it’ll probably depend on form and colors of the individual fish.

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some pictures from today! On some of the babies, there is some red showing on their fins. Others have black coming in on their anal fins too. I’m so excited to watch them get/change color, they seem to change and grow more every day! The last pic shows a baby with some of the red on its fins (even though it’s not the clearest picture). Sorry about the water spots in the photos, I took these after doing the daily 70% WC and it got a little messy lol. Thanks for reading!
Water Fin Liquid Fluid Underwater

Liquid Water Fin Underwater Fish

Water Liquid Fluid Fish Fin

Plant Fin Fish Terrestrial plant Tail

· Super Moderator
1,377 Posts
So sweet!

I‘ve read that Copper x (Red) Cambodian might produce fish like the father of your spawn is.

However, I think Coppers can have such diverse genetic backgrounds, that it will be difficult to predict.

Maybe @indjo can tell us more☺?!

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So sweet!

I‘ve read that Copper x (Red) Cambodian might produce fish like the father of your spawn is.

However, I think Coppers can have such diverse genetic backgrounds, that it will be difficult to predict.

Maybe @indjo can tell us more☺?!
To be honest, I’m not entirely sure what the male would be characterized as in terms of color. I made a post a while back asking if anyone knew what color he is and was informed he’s likely a copper. He does have a copper/metallic look to him (and thats what I presumed him to be when I originally got him) but usually the metallic and copper colors are blues and silvers, not red. It’s very likely his genetics aren’t from a pure line. I mostly chose him for his form, as I really liked his fin balance and body shape. I’ll be interested to see if his coloration will be predominantly passed onto the fry, or they’ll show more of Aphrodite’s koi/marble genes (although I know koi is recessive and may not be inherited because the father isn’t a koi). Genetics are very interesting to me haha. Thanks for reading!

· Super Moderator
7,863 Posts
To my knowledge the male's color is influenced by marble genes - whether he is from a marble line or has marble ancestry. Years of breeding coppers, crossing to red and cambodian, naver gave me that color. But recently copper line x marble produce some "red coppers" - not as fully colored as him, but shows red backeground.

The female is marble - unpredictabie. Common regular color should range between turquoise, steel blue, royal, and copper - probably with red fins. But with marble genes, color and pattern could be anything - from red koi, multi colored koi, black/dark koi, etc. Since male is solid colored, most should have more solid patterns (not spots like koi).

*** All coppers are metallic line colors. However, red and royal blue cannot (usually) show the metallic trait (shiny). Your male is, to my knowledge, a rare red metallic combo.

Congrats on your successful spawn.

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To my knowledge the male's color is influenced by marble genes - whether he is from a marble line or has marble ancestry. Years of breeding coppers, crossing to red and cambodian, naver gave me that color. But recently copper line x marble produce some "red coppers" - not as fully colored as him, but shows red backeground.

The female is marble - unpredictabie. Common regular color should range between turquoise, steel blue, royal, and copper - probably with red fins. But with marble genes, color and pattern could be anything - from red koi, multi colored koi, black/dark koi, etc. Since male is solid colored, most should have more solid patterns (not spots like koi).

*** All coppers are metallic line colors. However, red and royal blue cannot (usually) show the metallic trait (shiny). Your male is, to my knowledge, a rare red metallic combo.

Congrats on your successful spawn.
Thank you so much for the response and all of that information! That’s exciting to hear that his color is unique and on the rarer side. Im going to be really interested to see what color combinations I get in the fry, especially because it sounds like there could be a wide range. While I’m hoping for some marble fry, I’m not going to be disappointed if there aren’t any in this generation. I’m not too knowledgeable when it comes to the genetics of bettas, but I find it very interesting! I would’ve never guessed he had marble influence in his genetics, but it makes sense that the red had to be introduced into the copper genetics somehow.

Thank you again for the reply!

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not the clearest picture, but I wanted to post this so you guys had an idea of how many fry there are from this spawn. Mind you, both Aphrodite and Eros were first time parents! (The fry are on the floor of the tank because I just fed them and they’re picking up fallen pieces off of the bottom haha). Thanks for reading!

Water Liquid Fluid Sunlight Gas

1 - 20 of 128 Posts