Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My white betta, Herme, I've had for about a year. Keep him in a 5 gallon tank, with heater, no filter, do weekly water changes adding salt, and vacuum the poop from the gravel. I've battled small bouts of fin rot here and there but he has been healthy otherwise. I noticed a few months back his color started to change from white to an eggyolk color as well as a few red dots appearing on his fins. He was acting normal, being social, eating quickly, etc.. so I decided to keep an eye on it and see. Recently, the red dots have spread from a few on his larger fins, to a lot on all his fins. He is still eating fine and acting normal, but I just want to make sure it isn't the start of a bigger problem. His body and gills are not effected, just lots of red dots on his fins. If anyone has any ideas, I'd like to head this off before it gets worse. I love my fish and don't want him to be sick! :-?

I will try to post a pick that shows more clearly what it looks like.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Yup, I'd say he's marbling. Also, dont add the salt every waterchange, only is he is actually sick, and even then for no more than ten days with 100% daily watch changes.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
he looks like a dalmatian! some dals don't spot up until they're a little older. i don't think it's anything to worry about!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow! You guys are great. You made my week! A dalmation, who knew? Well you guys did! This is my second Betta and it's amazing how worked up you can get worrying about these little fellas. Thanks for the tip on the salt too, I'll cut back on the application.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Oops, I said daily "watch" changes, I meant daily "water changes"

But yeah, like I said, only if for sure you know he is sick should you use it. He doesnt need it right now, and he will build up an immunity too it, so when you do need it, it wont have as much of an effect, kind of thing. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts