Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I woke up today and noticed a red lump with white spots on my bettas gill anyone be able to help me

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 25
Does it have a filter? Yes fluval U2
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78-79
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? 9 neon tetra

Food: bug bites / tetra pro multi crisps / Hikari micro pellets
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Normally pellets
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Twice a day normally a small amount 5 or so micro pellets or bug bites

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Every 4-5 days
What percentage of water did you change? 30%
What is the source of your water? Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? API stress coat. Tropica play nutrition What brand of conditioner? API

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:20
pH: around 6.6
Hardness (GH): N/A
Alkalinity (KH): N/A

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Yesterday.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Red lump with white spots
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? It hasnt
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Treated with anti fungus with interpet about a month ago
How long have you owned your Betta? 9 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Nitrate:20
Hi! This number is on the higher side.
how often did you perform a water change?
How frequently do you do water changes--weekly? Can you increase the amount of water that you change from 30% to 50%?

Also, I can't tell for sure but he looks like he's thin. Can you gradually increase the amount of food he gets? He should look similar to this from above, with no delineation from his head into his body;

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can increase the water change % yes, I dont think he's thin though I think the picture may be misleading. Any ideas on what the thing under his gills could be?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Can you get us a photo of him from above--that would be helpful. My boys look fairly similar to that photo, -- kind of like little torpedoes :)

Regarding the lump, I'm not sure but there are experts on this site who will see your post soon. Have you tried Indian almond leaf or plain decaf rooibos tea in the meantime? Those are anti fungal, anti bacterial and also ease stress. You can float either one (not both) or make a tea, cool it, condition it and add it to the tank.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No but I will try and purchase those. I will upload a picture first thing tomorrow the lights are off in the aquarium and he's tucked away.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you get us a photo of him from above--that would be helpful. My boys look fairly similar to that photo, -- kind of like little torpedoes :)

Regarding the lump, I'm not sure but there are experts on this site who will see your post soon. Have you tried Indian almond leaf or plain decaf rooibos tea in the meantime? Those are anti fungal, anti bacterial and also ease stress. You can float either one (not both) or make a tea, cool it, condition it and add it to the tank.

Photo from above

·
Premium Member
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
568 Posts
I honestly cannot see much from the photos. Any chance you could get some closer ones? If you have a clear container could you put him in it and take some pics from underneath? Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I honestly cannot see much from the photos. Any chance you could get some closer ones? If you have a clear container could you put him in it and take some pics from underneath? Thanks
These are as good as I can get, the red lump is sticking out with small white spots. He doesnt have this on the other side. From the original first two pictures I uploaded you can see the red with the two white spots, the spots have got smaller over the past day.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
here's one I got from underneath.
These are as good as I can get, the red lump is sticking out with small white spots. He doesnt have this on the other side. From the original first two pictures I uploaded you can see the red with the two white spots, the spots have got smaller over the past day. View attachment 1026895 View attachment 1026896 View attachment 1026897

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I think the white spots might well be the same as what's happening elsewhere in his tank, and the red you're seeing could be his natural coloring. Have you added anything to his tank recently?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He never has red lump before and his other side doesn't have this. I'm worried it could be ICH after seeing all the white specs all over wood

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
I do think this may be a case of ich. As for the red lump, has that just appeared? About how long ago if so?

·
Registered
99 Posts
If he has ich or a parasite he could have actually scratched himself and that red spot is from doing that.. I would maybe start with Indian almond leaf to help f its fungal or bacterial and pick up something for parasites as soon as you can if you dont see an improvement.. .. also keep an eye on parameters do a few extra water changes make sure that theres nothing environmental stressing him out on top of the illness ya know

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I do think this may be a case of ich. As for the red lump, has that just appeared? About how long ago if so?
I've posted about the white specs on another discussion. The responses say it isn't ich on the drift wood. Ive added an almond leaf but it hasnt released much tannis, im worried because I think my water is soft and don't want my Ph to change to much with the leaf. At the minute my Ph is around 7.4 and water parameters are all good. Hopefully its just a scratch but will keep an eye on it

·
Super Moderator
586 Posts
I've posted about the white specs on another discussion. The responses say it isn't ich on the drift wood. Ive added an almond leaf but it hasnt released much tannis, im worried because I think my water is soft and don't want my Ph to change to much with the leaf. At the minute my Ph is around 7.4 and water parameters are all good. Hopefully its just a scratch but will keep an eye on it
I'm not exactly sure what that is but it isn't ich. Are the spots just on the driftwood or all the décor? The tannins won't reduce your ph very much at all so don't stress about that. Do you have snails in there?

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
OHH, my bad, I thought you said on the betta not driftwood. If it's not on the betta, than it isn't ich. If it's on the betta, than it is ich.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts