Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First post, thought I'd give it a try. My halfmoon betta, Sagi, has something going on with him but I can't even figure out what it is. It's this red, fleshy like sac, sometimes I see it hanging off of him. No 'illnesses' or images match up to what he has.

It's not debris from his decorations. That's what I thought at first, until I saw it again. He managed to turn and it looked like it started at his 'armpit' right in just behind his fin but who knows. It might have started a little more up for all I know.

5 Gallon Tank with a light and plastic hood
Conditioned Water (presumably instant conditioner, but I still let it sit out overnight)
Filter
Heated
Male

Recently re-acquired Bio-Gold Betta Food, which he loves. Alternated between flakes and colored kibbles until the store got some more in.

Just did a 75% change the other day to see if it would help - again

Out of the two Bettas I have he is the only one seen with this problem so I'm confident it isn't the water. I have mixed in salts once in a while (about once a week) and before that I had helped him with some fin rot. It no longer seems to be an issue, the holes in his fins have disappeared.

I don't have an official picture because one second it was there, and after he turned around it was gone. It's reappeared about 4 times (that I've seen) over the past two(?) months. My friend thinks it might be a prolapse of some kind- but again I've never seen images with a similar uh... look.

It's literally like the picture I've linked below. It's a rich red and it floats behind him like he's hauling a bag of toys as if he's Santa.

It doesn't seem to hinder his swimming at all and it does go away within a minute after I've noticed it. Is this some grotesque prank to make mommy worry? ;A; He's my first betta and Sushi, my other betta, is a different breed altogether and is pretty much a fish version of Sonic when he swims around.

Again he's my first betta, my first fish pet, so i kinda freak out whenever I notice something wrong.

Drawing of Betta :(

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
From what you are describing, it sounds like his excrement/feces/poo.
Can you post a photo of it when it happens again? We can help to determine from that.
Salt should not be added to their water on a regular basis, it is only used in times of certain illness. Prolonged salt in the water can cause kidney problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what you are describing, it sounds like his excrement/feces/poo.
Can you post a photo of it when it happens again? We can help to determine from that.
Salt should not be added to their water on a regular basis, it is only used in times of certain illness. Prolonged salt in the water can cause kidney problems.
I don't think it's excrement. There have been no gigantic red blobs of fecal matter sitting/floating in the tank. It's literally as I've drawn it, with the bulbous end. Not a stringy piece of doo-doo hanging from his bottom.

I'll post a photo if I'm lucky enough to grab one in time.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
The only other thing I can think of is a prolapse of his internal organs. But it would not disappear and reappear like you describe.
I'm going to stick with my first guess of excrement. Mine have done something similar where it does appear as a blob or bulbous in shape. Hopefully you can get that photo as I am now quite intrigued.
Another possibility might be some sort of parasite.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It's not the best but I managed to catch some footage of it. Now this time it looks as if it's growing directly off of his fin, whereas before it appeared to be growing off his body. This morning before I had to run to work, it looked like a red pimple.

These keep appearing in different places it seems, only to burst or 'disappear' over time- and even though it doesn't show in the poor quality of the footage, the red tag on his body looks like a balloon reaching its limit. You can pretty much see through it. My poor baby... Overall it's becoming more frequent.

;n;

EDIT: Just as of posting this I went out to check up on him again and it's gone. I've put some antibacterial stuff in and shut off his light for the night.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts