Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I am new to the forum but reaching out to help my poor little betta guy. About 3 weeks ago he was settling at the bottom of his 1gallon tank, as well as darting and acting sporadic with no appetite. I went to the pet store and they told me that I should "let the fish die" rather than trying to medicate him to save him. I quickly left and went to the only other pet store in town (I live in a rural area.) They were sympathetic and quickly told me to keep water at about 80 (bought a heater), and if anything use this 'quick fix' remedy that turns the water blue (can't recall the name but came in a little fish shaped bottle). He seemed to improve for a few days, but noticed a red streak coming from a rear fin. His fins also looked torn up. (By the way, I change the water about every week with a complete change). I started obsessing over the situation and went to the pet store thinking it was septicemia (praying it is not). They gave me Betta-Fix, which seemed to make his fins shrivel up more. Went back and they recommended Melafix One. He seems OK with that, and I have been treating him for 3 days with this. The rear bloody streak has gone. Fins have split, but he has a great appetite (actually seems a little hungrier) - and his spirit is great. Poop is normal. Seems happy... BUT, last night I noticed red streaks from his two front fins (the long arm like fins in the front) - and red on a gill. I am so worried for my little guy and I feel helpless. I am trying my best but fear I am making it worse. I can't just let him die - as the pet clerk advised. Please, any suggestions would help. I found this link which shows a picture of just my fish looks like - blue, with red streaks (see MYATES, that fish…). http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=93535

·
Registered
658 Posts
I am certainly no expert on this subject, but since noone has responded yet, I would say since the Melafix helped the first streak, continue what you've been doing with it and see how it goes. It's at least a good sign he's acting ok :)
Keep doing the water changes, every other day do a 50% to be sure his water is nice and clean. You didn't say what size your tank is, if it's a little one under 2 gallons, that ammonia can build up fast and damage his fins and make him act lethargic. The fact you didn't have a heater til now could of also contributed.
I bet your little guy will eventually make a full recovery. It's also not impossible he may be going through some color changes, especially with the better enviornment now. Best of luck, and keep us updated :)
oops just re-read and see it's a 1 gallon. Nothing wrong with that long as you do those frequent water changes.
Also, you probably know this, but just to make sure, I'll add to post to say when you do the changes, add the conditioner to the new water *before* you put it in the tank! (you've been adding a conditioner, right? to remove chlorine and add a slime coat) Just making sure!

Reactions: Hallyx

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
The most important medicine you can have is clean water. Like Betta nut says, for a 1g tank, a 50% water change every other day is not too much. Use Prime water conditioner with every water change. This is especially important with small tanks.

Upgrade his food to New Life Spectrum Thera A or Omega One Betta Buffet. Quality food is a great way to improve and strengthen his immune system.

Try to get him into a larger tank soon, at least 2.5 gallons.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes, have a 1g tank and I have been doing the water treatment. I really appreciate your post, and I was thinking that perhaps now that his water is a constant 80 degrees, perhaps that is contributing to the streaks??? Gosh I hope so. He just seems so happy, it's hard to think something terrible may be wrong. Thank you for your kind post. I am also going to take Hallyx advice and buy a bigger tank so he is all the more taken care of. This is my longest betta relationship : ) I am in for the long haul. Would either of you recommend a pump for the water to provide ample oxygen? I am not looking to buy the entire filtration system - but if extra oxygen will help... open to suggestions. Thank you for your advice.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Bettas don't need oxygen added to water, but a filter never hurts when you have a larger home for him. A few hardy live plants can be excellent for not only helping to keep the water clean, but for your betta's enjoyment. They provide resting spots and exploration, and you never have to worry about them causing fin damage. You can even add a few to his one gallon and he'll love you for it! Just be sure before you buy any that they are true aquatics. Pet stores like to sell anything that's green and say it's aquatic.

Reactions: Hallyx

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great! I will return the pump I bought yesterday then, in place for true aquatic plants. I am so grateful for your help. Prognosis is great today! Your member picture by the way, is really great. Is this artwork you do Betta Nut?

·
Registered
658 Posts
If only :p No, just dug around in a "betta art" search til I found one I liked.
Good luck with your little guy! I always am so happy seeing someone care about them like you. What a terrible pet store saying "just let it die". I don't think I'd be giving them any more business! he was probably just cold and suffering from ammonia levels or something.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I agree with you. That pet store business has lost by business forever, and daily when I drive by I am so tempted to go inside and tell them a piece of my mind! For now, I will just deter people in my town to shop there. I have also heard that they place all types of sick fish in one tank - they don't separate out those that may be eaten by the bigger fish. What a terribly stressful environment for those poor fish. They are just a bad pet store. And yes, I do think he was cold as the temps dropped here in the CA mountains very quick. I wasn't prepared. So far I have invested about $50 on my little guy getting back to normal. I feel so lucky to have stumbled upon this website and have nice people, as your self, advising me. Happy holidays!

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
I saw his picture in what I think was your other thread. Myates is a very competent diagnostician. Her opinion and advice is golden. His appearance and behavior sound OK.

What kind of air-pump did you buy? I think I'm going to suggest you keep it. You can use it to power a sponge filter, the best kind of filter for a Betta tank.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thank you so much for your suggestion Hallyx. Although the link for the fish (attached in original post) isn't my fish - I think my fish is doing pretty good. His fins just seem skeletal like - perhaps that was from medicating. He is the spiky finned variety but it's as if his fins are tearing (not so bad right now - but if it continues…) I did buy my little guy a 2 gallon tank, with a few aquatic plants, heater, rocks, and the air pump. He seems so happy, very uncertain as to the new mansion. I hope in time his fins will grow back, do they? Would you suggest treating him with anything mild? Is there anything besides the water treatment, that one would prepare a tank with so that bad bacteria doesn't happen? Thank you.

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
Besides the good food I suggested, just a couple drops of Prime water conditioner every other day and with water changes.

His fins will grow back, there's nothing you can add to speed it up. Just good food, clean warm water.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts