Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've let my algae get a little out of control, so I'm reducing how long I keep the light on drastically. If this works, I am somewhat worried about dying algae actually causing an ammonia spike. Does this happen? Also, I think less ammonia will be processed by the plants, but it is a light/moderately planted tank, with filters and a tiny bio-load so that shouln't be a big problem so long as the algae decline doesn't provide a significant ammonia source.

Or am I being WAY to optimistic about how much algae is going to be dying off?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
What sort of algae is it, do you know?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mostly hair algae, there is a little blue-green in the tank too, but little enough that I wouldn't be reducing photo-period just because of it.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
You shouldn't have that much die off if you are just reducing the photoperiod. You can also spot treat with Excel or with Hydrogen Peroxide safely. Even if you do that, if you have a matured cycle then the bacteria will compensate fairly quickly as the algae dies off. You'd only get an ammonia spike if the bacteria colony isn't up for the job meaning it's still growing or is under six months of age generally but you'd still have to have a lot of die off to have anything substantial honestly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts