Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a male crown tail that i received as a gift about 2 months ago. Everything has been fine and he seems happy up until about a week ago. He suddenly started refusing to eat. I had changed his water about 4 days before he stopped eating. I don't see anything abnormal about him and have looked back on some pictures I took of him the day i got him. He looks the same. He doesn't appear to have any of the physical symptoms of any of the sicknesses I've read about. He still floats and swims around normally. I immediately panicked and began researching what the problem could be. I was thinking that maybe he was just constipated. I had been out of town the past 2 weekends and my roommate was left to feed him. I thought maybe my roommate accidentally over fed him. And just in case it was a sickness, i bought some medicine from Petco which is made by "Aquarium Solutions" and called "Betta Revive". I moved him to a different tank and treated the water with the medicine. It tinted the water blue. Then to try and help if it is constipation, i tried feeding him some peas. I've been medicating and changing his water daily for 3 or 4 days now with no signs of improvement. I did notice he pooped a little bit yesterday while i was at work and a bit today as well. It's light colored with a little darker on the end of it. So I'm not sure if it's constipation anymore. I bought a different kind of food (flakes) but he wants nothing to do with those either. I'm at a loss at this point. I don't know what to do next or what could be wrong.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 74-78
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Alone

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Food (pellets)
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
Tetra Betta Safe
Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? No
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Stopped eating
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Almost a week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Tried "Betta Revive" and changing food to "Tetra BettaMin" (flakes)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? First time being sick
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him since the first of the year, he's a few months probably.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm changing the water 100% every week because i found it hard to find information on changing the water when the tank has a filter. It's a 5 gallon tank. And no the filter isn't baffled. I have noticed that he doesn't like the current, and there is a bit of one in there. But he has been fine for 2 months and this all just started recently. The Betta Revive said to use it for at least 3 days, it's been 4 or 5 now, so i'll do a complete water change and discontinue use. I moved him into a bowl when I started medicating him so it would require less medicine in a smaller space, and because I didn't know if maybe there was some kind of bacteria in the tank. So I got him out of there asap. I just got home from work and he did not poop today.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay I'm definitely going to baffle the filter. That's probably making him pretty uncomfy. I've tried to back down on feeding him as much. It's been once daily now and he doesn't touch the food. So far today I have fasted him. How long can he be fasted for? Doing this makes me uneasy lol. As far as bloating... I don't think so. I have a picture of him on the day I got him and I took another picture like 2 days ago and he looks the same to me.... I'm not sure how to add pictures here, but if you click on my pictures, I have them posted there. I have the oldest and most recent labeled. Should I try feeding him peas again? I know I've read that Betta's can't properly digest them though :/

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so I don't see any poop after getting home from work today. I picked up epsom salt, aquarium sponges for the filter baffle, water test kit, gravel vacuum, Omega One Betta Buffet, and New Life Spectrum Betta Formula.
Water Test Results:
Nitrate-0
Nitrite-0
Total Hardness-0
Chlorine-0
Alkalinity-120
pH-7

I was looking at tank heaters but they all say they keep the tank at 78, which is right where mine is. Idk if there is an adjustable one available somewhere. I'm going to add the epsom salt tonight *crosses fingers*

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, the filter is now baffled nicely. The current is basically gone now. He is quarantined in his bowl with the epsom salt and water conditioner. I tried to feed him one pellet of the New Life Spectrum, but he wanted nothing to do with it. He's been staying in basically the exact same spot the last couple days. Just treading water at the top and in the front of the tank. And to the question I missed earlier, there are 4 plants in the tank which are all fake. Now I guess I just wait........

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thank you to everybody! He is eating normally now! Everything is back to normal and even made a bubble nest today! I'm trying to cycle the tank now and having a little trouble, but everything is great! Thanks for all the help everybody!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.