Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I purchased my first fish, a male betta (Harvey), almost 2 weeks ago and he resides in a 10 gallon tank. Water heater kept @76, lots of silk plants that he loves and unfortunately bought that damn big sized spongebob house (daughter had to have it), gravel, thermometer, 120volt quietflow power filter. At first my fish was super happy, I taught him tricks even, but this was before the I bought the filter. I've been racking my mind with what's been wrong with my fish- on and off he'll seem very sick and unhappy. For instance, yesterday he didn't come out of his house :( I've tried doing such things as:
•At first I was feeding too much (cut it down to twice a day 2 pellets both times)
•the tank wasn't cycled when I got him so that's a worry of mine
•thought maybe an occasional freeze dried bloodworm made him I'll so stopped that
•the first week changed 25% of water almost daily
•bough API tests and borderline the yellow/red danger zones on PH (8.0-8.5) carb hardness, and the general hardness. Added some aquarium salt and also changed 50% of the water, then a bit later that night 25%. Seemed to work well. With everything but ph.
•nitrites and nitrates were both about 0, maybe 0-20 nitrate. Nitrite 0.
•bought him different brand food pellet just yesterday.

Okay, so today he's been active all day. Ate this morning and has been Happy as can be. Should I keep changing the water 25%-50% daily? Or even twice a day? Do I need the API proper 7.0?
Now on to the filter. Sometimes it'll get unplugged for a couple hours (which I JUST read is bad) and today that was the case. I turned it on and noticed my bettas little fins were flapping away to barely swim around and he suddenly didn't seem as active. It doesn't "blow" him around, or suck him or anything. Do you think it's too much of a current to where he's hiding in his house? It doesn't seem to keep him from coming to the surface for air. Is it necessary to have a filter on a 10 gallon? And if I start it again should I buy a new filter so it doesn't dump the dead bacteria back into the water?
Sorry, this is long thread just care a lot about my little guy and am trying anything I can to make him happy and around for as long as possible! Thank you in advance!!

Oh! And also about his house, I read the paint chips so is like to remove it but it seems to be one of his favorite things, he likes to lay in certain spots and loves to poke his head out. I don't want to stress him with taking it out now, as I feel he's been stressed a lot lately anyway. Should I wait? It has a really weird slimy film on it too. I hate he's attached because I really regret buying it for him...

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
IMO/E-some, not all of the long fin males can have problems with water movement and it can sometimes cause fin damage that later can end up being a secondary infection-not to mention the stress that can sometimes cause neurotic behaviors.

IMO/E-you don't need a filter with a lone Betta in a 10gal unplanted tank-IMO the nitrogen cycle isn't important regarding keeping a lone Betta-

With a single Betta in a 10gal unplanted tank without a filter-you could maintain water quality with a weekly water change of 25%-Provided that you are not overfeeding and remove any uneaten food.

Most water quality problems are related to fish food not the by-products produced by a single Betta-especially in 10gal tank.

That said, if you plan to add other species of fish-the nitrogen cycle would be important, however, you also could add lots of live plants to function as the filtration and to provide the needed oxygen for the nitrogen cycle instead of a filter-Understand too- a lot more to plants that function as filtration than just dropping in a few plants-Not all plant will work-plus it is based on active growth related to proper lighting

As for the paint chips-these are non-toxic and should not cause any problems IMO.

The pH-I wouldn't worry about the pH-the Betta will adapt and be fine-it those sudden, extreme changes that are more of a problem-especially when to try to altar the pH with chemicals-generally it will rebound due to KH/GH(hardness) that wasn't changed. IMO/E it is safer to leave pH and hardness alone-especially with a Betta.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMO/E-some, not all of the long fin males can have problems with water movement and it can sometimes cause fin damage that later can end up being a secondary infection-not to mention the stress that can sometimes cause neurotic behaviors.

IMO/E-you don't need a filter with a lone Betta in a 10gal unplanted tank-IMO the nitrogen cycle isn't important regarding keeping a lone Betta-

With a single Betta in a 10gal unplanted tank without a filter-you could maintain water quality with a weekly water change of 25%-Provided that you are not overfeeding and remove any uneaten food.

Most water quality problems are related to fish food not the by-products produced by a single Betta-especially in 10gal tank.

That said, if you plan to add other species of fish-the nitrogen cycle would be important, however, you also could add lots of live plants to function as the filtration and to provide the needed oxygen for the nitrogen cycle instead of a filter-Understand too- a lot more to plants that function as filtration than just dropping in a few plants-Not all plant will work-plus it is based on active growth related to proper lighting

As for the paint chips-these are non-toxic and should not cause any problems IMO.

The pH-I wouldn't worry about the pH-the Betta will adapt and be fine-it those sudden, extreme changes that are more of a problem-especially when to try to altar the pH with chemicals-generally it will rebound due to KH/GH(hardness) that wasn't changed. IMO/E it is safer to leave pH and hardness alone-especially with a Betta.

Thank you very much! I have two live bamboo. Also I was looking into getting a Corey catfish as well and maybe a few smaller fish as well, not sure what yet.

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
If you get cory cats-be sure and get at least 3-they do better in groups since they are a schooling species and in a 10gal-3 would be all I would get since you are adding other species too along with the Betta in a basically unplanted 10gal tank.

Depending on the other fish species-be sure and research the needs, especially if they are schooling-While a lone schooling fish may not die right away if ever-it can be stressed and you also miss out on the more natural behaviors and beauty or just get cory cats and up that number to 5 along with the Betta-You will see some really neat behaviors that way too.

Remembering that some species of fish can do damage to the Betta from fin nipping and/or stress the Betta-not to mention that an improper kept fish in a weakened state due to stress can be killed by the Betta too.
Research can help you avoid some problems with improper stocking and keeping of other species of fish.

Bamboo can be used in the tank as long as the tops are out of the water, otherwise they can rot and die-fouling the water-Not the best choice for aquariums IMO-but with proper care they can work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
If you get cory cats-be sure and get at least 3-they do better in groups since they are a schooling species and in a 10gal-3 would be all I would get since you are adding other species too along with the Betta in a basically unplanted 10gal tank.

Depending on the other fish species-be sure and research the needs, especially if they are schooling-While a lone schooling fish may not die right away if ever-it can be stressed and you also miss out on the more natural behaviors and beauty or just get cory cats and up that number to 5 along with the Betta-You will see some really neat behaviors that way too.

Also the water is kind of murky? Not a lot but not clear, either. Should I vacuum it now?

Remembering that some species of fish can do damage to the Betta from fin nipping and/or stress the Betta-not to mention that an improper kept fish in a weakened state due to stress can be killed by the Betta too.
Research can help you avoid some problems with improper stocking and keeping of other species of fish.

Bamboo can be used in the tank as long as the tops are out of the water, otherwise they can rot and die-fouling the water-Not the best choice for aquariums IMO-but with proper care they can work.
I've been doing research on the Corey cats and was planning on starting with 3. What do you think the best way to introduce them to the tank would be, like their acclamation? Thanks for all the info. My bettas been doing absolutely great, and has such a wonderful personality. We've been practicing his jumps! Smart fish:) the tops of our bamboo is out of the water.

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
I would acclimate the cory cats just as you should with any fish-to both temp and chemistry of the water-by adding small amounts of the tank water to the container over a period of time-dump half that water and repeat-remembering to never add any of the fish store water to your tank-always toss it out and top off your tank with fresh dechlorinated water as needed.

It is also a good idea to Qt any new fish for at least 10-20 days before adding them to the display tank-remembering that if at any time they get sick and need treatment the QT time-line starts over. Often its not possible for hobbyist to properly QT due to lack of space and tanks-in that case-sometimes it is best to temporally cup the Betta for several day while the cory cats have time to adapt/adjust to the display tank-this way if they do get sick or have something the Betta won't get sick too.
Most illness will show up in the first week due to stress the fish went through-especially Ich-the stress compromises the immune response and that can allow the parasite to take over because the fish can't fight it off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.