Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried to do research on this subject, but could not find anything.

Would it be possible to not let them spawn for the full length of time, thus leaving me with a smaller batch of fry for my first time breeding?

If not, I am prepared as far as housing 100+ Bettas, but if I could get by with less without culling, that would be nice.

It is just a thought. I'm worried it may be unnatural and confuse the fish or cause complications.

What does everyone think? Has anyone ever tried this?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm kinda new too. But for your first spawn your going to want as many fry as posable. There are a lot mistakes to be made and the more fry you have the more mistakes you can make. I got one fry out of my first spawn that made it to adult. For your first spawn fallow the stickys at the top of the threads. Good luck!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for that!

That makes a lot of sense actually. I have read countless amounts of information but I'm sure it is inevitable that I will make some sort of mistake my first time. For later on in the future though, does anyone think my idea is remotely possible? I think I would be too afraid to try it if no one else has ever tried it before.

I appreciate any and all feedback :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have tried to do research on this subject, but could not find anything.

Would it be possible to not let them spawn for the full length of time, thus leaving me with a smaller batch of fry for my first time breeding?
This is certainly possible and some breeders do take this approach. But like Goatfish said - if it is your very first spawn then it's not a bad idea to maximize your yield since mistakes are inevitable as with any spawn that is tried for the first time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it. I'll get as many as I can this time :)

I'm going to do a spawn log whenever I begin so we shall see how it goes!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have one male that eats all the eggs if there are to many. So I have to remove some of the eggs and have an other male take care of them or stop the breeding. But "I think" it is best for the female to release all her eggs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So removing some of the eggs and disturbing the nest didn't make the male abandon it? I've never dealt much with fish but other species can be that way. Thanks for that bit of info. I find it interesting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts