Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Male beta recently received a cut on his side that developed a small white fungal patch (I am treating him properly in a QT with proper filtration and temp regulator). However, I just can't find an answer to whether or not the fungus should be removed? It developed yesterday and this is when I started treating him. Not a large difference today but I've never had a fish develop a fungal infection before nor have any of my fish ever had a injury.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Are you able to show a picture of the wound?

A fluffy wound is never a good wound, I would recommend beginning treatment if possible. The most common and gentler of the available options is to administer AQ salt to the tank water, this kills or slows many freshwater fungals and will help cleanse the healing wound on your boy. If you feel the fungus has progressed or is actively attacking your boy's wound then you can move up to a fungal killer, this will simply alleviate the problem and your boy can heal up while he is being treated. I hear many speak highly of the jungle brand fungal cures in the US (the brand I use, blue planet, is not available there I am afraid).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perfect! I never thought of the salt solution! I doesn't seem to have spread on his body. Just out. I'll start the salt right away. I'll try and post one real quick. He was attacked by a long fin zebra danio and all his fins were taken off so I was treating him for his fins when the fungus appeared on his wound.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another view. Again, I want to make it clear I am properly treating my boy for his fins. He has a healthy appetite. His in his own tank with fresh water and filter and his favorite plant he likes to sleep in. His water is a nice 78 degrees. I know what he needs, I just never ran across fungus before. He's actually the fish fish I've ever had injured and he's three years old.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
***UPDATE*** He has actually greatly improved with the addition of the AQ salt. The fungus has receded and the wound looks MUCH better! Phew! Now just to get these fins back! There's already some new growth. I just don't know how long it will take. But I really appreciate the advice on the salt, I do believe it has saved my man <3 he's still the handsomest lad in the all the aquatic world I think.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
EVEN BETTER UPDATE! Fungus is gone! Adios! I took no chances and change his water and he's a happy healthy fish (if perhaps on the drab side due to lack of fins) <3

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
That is lovely news to see it reversed so fast! You can keep the AQ salt in the tank for up to 10/14 days MAX which should help to keep all his wounds clean while they knit up (any longer can cause kidney damage).
As to his fins, all you can do is try to supplement his diet and let him regrow in his own. The most protein rich sources are live/frozen foods such as bloodworms which should lead to strong healthy growth.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.