Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a marina s10 filter that came with my 5g tank. But I can't see to find replacement cartridge for my model instore. Do you have to stick to the same brand and model of cartridge or something else would do?

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
You can put whatever you want in the filter. Personally, I just fill it with sponge and don't even use the cartridges that many filters come with.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
that's bizarre they don't have replacement cartridges in stock. I second the sponge filter option too. I have the 5g marina tank with s10 filter, the store keeps the filters in good stock but I still add AQ sponge right in front of my cartridges. does that store have issues keeping things in stock or do they prefer to promote other brands of tanks?

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Sponge is inexpensive and it has a lot of surface area and small spaces for beneficial bacteria to grow.

Have you heard of sponge filters? They are basically an airstone with a sponge around it attached to air pump. The beneficial bacteria grows onto the sponge. The main point of a filter is to colonize beneficial bacteria since that is what turns ammonia into nitrite into nitrate.

So basically by adding just the sponge to your filter you are creating a type of sponge filter.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Nel3 that store I went to was in fact a pet shop but I found a fish store nearby.

Why do you add the sponge? What does it do?
that makes sense, general pet stores wont always have all the replacement parts for the products they sell.

I simply added sponge to my filter to give extra room for the BB to colonize. im not sure if my combo of the proper filter pad and sponge make it a true sponge filter but I saw that I had some room to play with.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I dont think they are a brand. But many lfs sell they. I got 3 feet by 2 feet for only 5 bucks. It lasts forever and in really cheap. Next time you go to your lfs, just ask for blue white filter pads. Or some people use that polyester pillow stuffing.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.