9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10, split with another male betta
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? Split tank with another betta and two tiger nerite snails

Food:
What food brand do you use? Several different ones along with some fresh veggies (peas and cucumbers) He was severely malnourished when I got him, so I’ve been trying to get his weight up, but he isn’t eating anything
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Mostly flakes
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? One tiny portion 3-4 times a day. Like I said, he is underweight so I am feeding him more frequently

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Both bettas are recovering from tail rot and fin biting, so I change 50% every day
What percentage of water did you change? 50%
What is the source of your water? Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum once a week, just dip other days
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Prime water conditioner

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH): N/A
Alkalinity (KH): N/A

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? He was a rescue, so he was in pretty bad shape when I got him. Today he has stopped eating and there is a red mark at the base of his body.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Absolutely no tail, tiny shredded fins, super skinny, and a red mark by his tail
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Stays in his cave most of the time, won’t come out for anything. I had to pick up the cave to get him to come out to eat. He didn’t eat and just sat at the top of the tank for a while, then went back to the cave.
Is your Betta still eating? No
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? I only rescued him two days ago. I didn’t want to stress him out more, so I just gave him fresh water, more room, good food, and proper heating and water parameters. I thought I would start with that to see if he perked up, but he has been declining really fast.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Yes, he was a rescue and previous owner said he got swim bladder disorder and he was kept in a half gallon tank with no heat.
How long have you owned your Betta? Two days
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Yes

So, long story short... I rescued four male bettas two days ago from AWFUL conditions. We’re talking half gallon tanks here... ugh! It makes me so mad... anyways, I split them into two 10 gallon tanks, split so each betta has five gallons. I also got some live plants (mostly Java fern) and a nerite snail each. All the boys had problems, but one in particular, Zonko, was looking really bad. He had almost no tail or fins due to tail biting and fin rot. He was STARVED and you could see his spine. I hoped that I could get his weight up and start to see some tail regrowth with the better care, but he declined fast. All day, he lay on the bottom of his tank and was motionless. When I fed him, he got a burst of energy and gobbled a few flakes, but ate less than a fourth of what he should have then got tired and sunk down again. Today he wouldn’t even move for food and has stopped eating. I even used my aqua scaping tweezers to offer him a flake so he wouldn’t have to move and he still wouldn’t eat. Also, this red patch showed up today on his body. I really really want to help this guy but I don’t know how!!!! Please help!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
711 Posts
The first thing is I would get his tank darker with tannins asap. So he can get the anti fungal and antibacterial benefits. Hopefully some else can help you further.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just thinking about that. Would I need to quarantine him from the other betta? I think the other beta would benefit a bit from tannins as well, but I can separate them if I need to. Also, any idea what that red spot is?

·
Registered
711 Posts
You may want to quarantine him for 2 reasons. Im not sure what the red spot is and also if he is so stressed from how he was the hormones from the other male may be stressing him out more also. He may just need to be separated so he can relax and get well and then be moved back. I would put tannins in all the tanks for the guys you just got. They all can benefit from the tannins.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I’ll move him tonight. Does anyone else have any advice? I don’t want to lose this guy!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts