Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I rescued a betta from my mom's coworker, who was just going to flush it because they can't have fish at their desks anymore. I don't know how this guy was treating to it, but I can guess pretty poorly.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon but he's in a 1 gal qt tank
What temperature is your tank? 76 [I dumped all my stuff after I lost my boys earlier this year and I haven't been paid yet so no heater]
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? n/a

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Mom's coworker used Sanyuu Betta Gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? I don't know how often he fed this betta; I've had him for five days and haven't fed him yet because he looked bloated.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Not sure/I do daily in the 1 gal
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? not sure/100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Not sure/Stress Coat and Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Not yet

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Color is dull, stress lines, chunks missing from tail, ends of tail white, white spot at the top of his head, swollen cheeks
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Darts around, but spends most of his time hiding behind a plant
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 5 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Daily water changes and 1 tsp aq salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not sure
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure

I don't get paid for another few days so I can't get a heater just yet, but I might be able to get medication tomorrow depending on the cost.

Please help me. :( I lost three boys to a bad bacterial infection a few months ago and I dumped all their stuff so I have nothing now and I really don't want to be responsible for this one's death.

·
Registered
216 Posts
You can try artificially raising the temperature with a desk lamp and a towel/blanket around the tank, so long as your lamp puts out heat. INow, for symptoms and treatment...

Fins: Clean water, a touch of aquarium salt, and maybe some stress coat will have them back to normal pretty quickly. Unless they have a fuzzy edge (fungus) they should heal up and grow back with some AQ salt and clean water.

Swollen Gills: Likely due to Ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/etc poisoning from poor care. I think some might suggest methylene blue for that, but I'm not as familiar with it.

Bloating: Epsom salt will be your cheapest bet. It's $5 and under at a pharmacy. Unless it's an infection, then I THINK kanaplex (I really need to remember these treatments better) is your best bet. I think. I may be horribly wrong.

Behavior: New environment, sick, slightly cold... He's just stressed. As he heals up with some TLC he should get better and stop hiding. Right now, it's just a sudden change so he's stressed and being sick doesn't help.

For now, until someone else says something, what your doing should help a lot and in a few days when you get some money for a heater and filter, he should start doing even better. Maybe even keeping the tank on the darker side would help in keeping his stress levels down.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. Should I use a heating pad to raise the temperature a few degrees?

It's just so frustrating waiting to be paid because I'm scared that he's running out of time and it will turn into body rot. It might already be at that stage.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Do not use Epsom Salt and AQ salt at the same time. They are very different things which treat different things so using both can seriously put stress on your fish.

In this case, use Epsom Salt and keep his water very clean.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.