Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This evening I went to a Petsmart to get a Betta fish. The one I had for about 2.5 years recently passed away, and I was ready to get a new one. I found a beautiful Twin Tail Halfmoon betta. But while I was looking at all the fish in the cups, my sister saw one that honestly I thought was dead. But it turns out it was still alive, but did not look very good... I didn't have the heart to leave it there, so I bought it, and a small 1 gallon tank (temporary) and a small heater. When we got him home, he definitely perked up a bit and moved around some. At the store he was just laying at the bottom of the cup, and if he hadn't moved just the slightest bit, I would have thought he was dead. I looked him over real good, I didn't see anything obvious besides the way his fins/body looked like they were curled. I didn't see signs of fin rot, his color was good, his gills looked normal, but his body seems to be curved instead of straight. It doesn't look like he has any trouble moving around really, and he is eating fine. I didn't fill out the form because he is brand new and just in a temporary quarantine tank at the moment. I wanted to know if anyone has seen this before, and if you think its something that is treatable/needs treatment, or if it is just some kind of genetic defect. Either way, I bought the fish knowing something wasn't right, and I fully intend to give it the best quality of life possible. Attached are pictures.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
There is actually nothing wrong with him at all. His fins are just flopping over because he lacks the strength to keep them up at the moment. Within a month or so, the caudal should straighten out as he strengthens himself. You can help by getting him to flare daily to a mirror or a video of another Betta flaring. 5-15 minutes daily or so will help keep him healthy.

He does have a bite on the bottom of his caudal, that is nothing to worry about, just clean and warm water will help that heal up in time. No meds necessary; they'll just stress him out anyhow.

Fins do curl sometimes due to ammonia build up, or harder water but it's only an aesthetic thing, not a disease or anything that will hinder him.

Reactions: themamaj
1 - 2 of 2 Posts