Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm afraid my poor baby might have some kind of resistant fin rot, and I'm not sure how to treat it. So many sights say so many different things.

My betta is a five month old double tail. He is in a five gallon tank that is heated to 79 degrees always and is filtered. There is no air stone, but he has a marimo companion. They seem to get along.

I used to feed him betta pellets, but when I first suspected fin rot, I switched him to freeze dried brine shrimp for higher protein. He gets fed once in the morning and once at night. I monitor him very closely to make sure he doesn't get over fed. He fasts once a week.

I have water testing strips that say that all of his nitrates and ammonia levels and such are "ideal".

I used to change his water 100% once a week, but when I noticed that he had fin rot, I started changing the water every day for about 10 days. His color hasn't changed, nor has his demeanor. He is as lively and energetic as usual and scarfs down all of the food I give him. He doesn't nip at his tail or anything, and he's still blowing bubble nests. I first noticed his tail starting to disappear about five weeks ago, after I went on vacation and his water didn't get changed when it should have. I immediately changed his water regularly for the next 10 days and have been using aquarium salts, 1 TBL for every gallon. He seemed to get a little better, in that his fin stopped actively disappearing. But it didn't grow back, either. Today when I changed his water, I noticed that his top fin is now also disappearing, and his tail has ragged holes in it. I'm still using the aquarium salts and changing his water often... why is he getting worse??

Please help, I don't want my baby to die.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Hi, could you answer the questions below? That would really help us. If you could post a picture, that would be really helpful too. You can post a picture by clicking "Go Advanced" at the bottom of the page. A page with more options will come up, click on the paper clip. This should let you browse for files and upload.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I answered all of those questions in the original post, but here are some pictures for comparison. The first picture is my betta healthy, and the second pic is my betta now. You can see how tattered his fin is, with chunks of it missing.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts