Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I had a fish pass due to fin rot. Now, I want to be able to reuse the aquarium IF possible.

So… is this possible?

If so, how?

I want to try and reuse the entire tank a long with the filter, heater, thermostat, and maybe some decorations if possible.

How would I be able to make this possible without running into fin rot again?

Or, do I need to just buy a new tank and completely start over?

·
Registered
Flash
416 Posts
Hi,

You can definitely re-use your aquarium. This is my routine when one of my bettas pass, regardless of the reason why they pass. I have never had any recurrance of the disease that killed my betta after doing this. I do tend to go overboard with it, but at this point, I wouldn't want to lose another fish accidentally by not being thorough enough.

When I am cleaning up an aquarium after some sort of infestation, I will use a bleach/water mixture (one part bleach and 10 parts water) to clean the glass aquarium. You can wipe it really good with the soulution, and then rinse it until you cannot smell the bleach at all. I mean really rinse it, and when you think you are done, rinse it again three more times. Some people will let the aquarium dry for a couple of days in the sun, but I just do the rinsing thing.

For the heater and decorations, I usually use a hydrogen peroxide and water mixture. Wipe it all down, and soak the soakable parts in a sink with the hydrogen peroxide and water mixture. For this, I just eyeball it, as hydrogen peroxide will dissapate in water. I do rinse everything a few times to make sure that I get everything clean.

For the filter, I am not sure what kind you have, but if it has a carbon cartridge like in a HOB filter, throw that away to be safe. You want to start with a new one, which will mean doing a new cycle, but it's better to be safe. If it is a sponge filter, just rinse it off completely, and you can use a little hydrogen peroxide on it as well, as long as you rinse it enough. Soak any removable plastic parts/or rinse them with the hydrogen peroxide/water mixture as well. I ususlly like to soak the inner big part of the filter, too.

And, I always start with new substrate. I never keep the old stuff.

I hope this helps!!!! :)

·
Super Moderator
6,442 Posts
In the past I used to use bleach, hydrogen peroxide, or kalium permanganate (I think). Sometimes new fish dies - unknown reason. Nowadays I like to keep it simple without chemicals. . . . I don't want to get careless and not rince enough (which may have been the caused of fish death in the past)

As I end up soaking everything for a few weeks after using chemicals plus I found out that most parasites die out without a host for 1-2 weeks, I just leave the tank fishless for a few weeks or dry under 1-2 hours of direct sunlight for a couple of weeks. I do the same thing with the equipments. I find this much safer than using chemicals.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts