Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have heard this tea is good for Bettas. Anyone know this to be true? And how it works?

I have never seen a unflavored Roobios Tea before, so do u use flavored?

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
you have to get all natural organic unflavoured rooibos tea. apparenty twinnings tea bags work. Monitor your fish for a while after adding

·
Registered
318 Posts
Rooibos tea adds tannins to the water, which colour it brownish and help the fish's slime coat and immune system. They also make the water a bit more acidic, which bettas like. You can also use Indian Almond Leaves (IAL) or dried oak leaves. You can buy IAL on ebay.

I found plain organic rooibos in my local chain grocery store, they were the store brand. Soak the tea bag in the water until it turns a medium brown colour, then remove it.

Note: If you add leaves to the water, make sure you add them to fresh water when doing a water change.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Is there other teas you can use? I think the only plain I have is Earl Grey
I don't think you can use any tea with caffeine. Earl Grey is flavoured with bergamot oil, I'm not sure if that would be harmful to fish.

Most herbal teas don't have caffeine, but they don't have much tannin either. I don't know of any other teas to recommend. I use IAL which I purchased cheaply through a seller on ebay.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
decaf green tea, Ive heard is also ok. but dont just used any tea in your fish's tank, you can and will kill your fish. especially since bergamot is a citrus fruit, it will probably make dramatic ph differences in the water, if caffeine didnt already kill your fish, 90% the ool will :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok this morning I bought Roobios Naturally Caffine Free unflavored tea bags. What do I do to add this to my Bettas Epson Salt treatment water?

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
run some warm water through it, give the bag a good squeeze, add a few drops of dechlorinator, and pop it in the water

1 - 11 of 11 Posts