Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a half moon (double tail?) with some deterioration to his fin. I was treating for fin rot but after researching more I'm not so sure what it is. Please help.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gal (med tank)
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? Main tank does haven't been using it in med tank
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None
Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 pellets every other day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Daily. I've been doing 100% because I read that was best to keep the rot bacteria at bay. But I'm thinking keeping my nitrogen cycle intact is probably more ideal now. :/

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No. haven't been since I've been doing 100 changes but I can.

Symptoms and Treatment: Had to well...hide him for Christmas. So he wasn't in a full setup for a few weeks. Fins were nice and full but now there are chunks missing from the tail. His appetite (or focus? :) was not so great either. Now though I've put him in a 1gal. I've been doing 1/2 tsp of betta fix and 1 tsp salt with 100% water change daily for about 5 days. The fins haven't gotten worse but they don't look like they are healing either...appetite is better and he has been more active though!

So I'm guessing I need to go to partial water changes and stop betta fix either way but I'd like to know what I'm dealing with :( Uhm I have gravel and more deco for later too just wanted to make the water changes easier.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? First issue
How old is your fish (approximately)? I think at least a year but I only purchased him mid December.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I really think it a tail biting. It looks like ''u'' shapes which is usually a bitta teeth.
I have a questions for you. You saying his activity level is better and his appetite is better. What do you mean? Did he was less active before, did he lay on the bottom or stay on the top? Did he refused to eat before? The reason i am asking that because usually with biting you don't want to stress fish with any medications or even salt. You can't treat fish every time he bites. All you need to keep water super clean to prevent an infection.

So if you think he is really better behavior wise and eating better then continue salt for a total of 10 days. You can increase the dose up to 2 tsp/gall. Do not sue betta fix , you can stop it. I think its too much for him. And with betta fix you need to be super careful and do not overdose it. Its has tee tea oil that can be dangerous for a betta labyrinth organs.
You saying that you feed him every other day. You actually need to feed him daily and do fasting day once a wk. I personally don't fast but i don't overfeed my bettas. I feed them daily 2 meals . I give them 2 pellets in the morning and 2 at night. Or sometimes i feed 3 pellets in the morning. Some pellets are small so give them more of those.
If you can buy your betta frozen food which is good source of the protein that good for the immune system.
The best pellets are
http://www.bigalspets.com/betta-formula-1-mm-semi-floating-pellets-50-g.html

http://www.petco.com/product/116563...ce-_-1483889&gclid=CL_LzP27hLwCFa9lOgod1B8AdA

If you can't buy frozen blood worms you can buy dried ones but give them only as a snack.

If you still have him in 1 gall tank after you done salt treatment do full water changes about every 4 days . Don't forget to match new water temperature with his water during the change.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry codec isn't working for the password reset on this forum...he will be in a 5 gal once he is done with meds. So you recommend still doing 100% changes for 4 more days then with salt? I will stop the betta fix. It's not so much that he was hanging out on the bottom or the top of the tank...but he was just a lot less lively and active...and when I put pellets in it would take him ages to eat. Now he goes right for the food and I see him exploring his world a bit more. So funny that they bite their tails...I guess it makes sense when they go after flashy things and they have so much finnage going on.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Hmm he was either accommodating to the new environment or may be had some kind of mild infection. Not sure. Salt has antibacterial affect . Since you already on 6 or 7 th day any way , and you saying that he is better i would do full 10 days of salt.

Some bettas can continue to bite their tail once they did it once. A lot of time it is very frustrating. Just need to keep water super clean to prevent infection. Make sure the filter not too strong in his new tank. Bettas with tail like he is i think would be better with less water movements. I have a few videos how to baffle the filter , let me know if you need it. And one tip -never afraid to do extra water changes . Testing will check for ammonia and things like that, but it will not show other contaminants so its never bad idea to do extra water change in the cycled tank. And filters gather a lot of gunk on them daily so make sure you swish/rinse the filter media regularly.
Good luck, it would be nice to have an update on how he is doing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's a mini bow so the current is pretty mild I think. I would still like to see this video on baffling though just in case. These guys are so interesting...the way they put up with so much more change then other tropical fish set ups. Thank you and I will let you know how it's going :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Noticed some more holes in his caudal(?) fin tonight :| I don't have the right lighting to photograph it really well but it almost looks like lines just cut out of the fin. I've noticed that he spends a lot of time near the heater. Could he be injuring himself on it since there is no gravel? It isn't hot to the touch or anything but maybe if he slept on it? I'll get a hide that's smooth for him and see if he stays away from the heater...it's sorta barren in there right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Looks like some fin rot has set in. bettas like to sleep sitting upright in the water so their lower fins can get damaged by dragging along the bottom of the bowl. Gravel is usually a good idea because the bumpy texture means less nasties can pool under them.
For now your boy can likely heal himself with good water and perhaps some gravel or a plant to sleep on, They are remarkably good healers.

if you see the splits and holes getting worse then AQ salt and/or a general cure for fin disorders may help. Only use harder meds when the softer ones dont work- important rule of thumb.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
He biting his tail:( Betta might bite because he is bored or because he is threatened by his tail and thinking its another betta, or his tail is too heavy for him. Also, strong lighting can be the problem. May be try to change position of the tank. Tail biting can become a habit, some guys just keep doing it after they started.
People recommending more plants silk or live, especially floating plants , but for your boy with fins like that.....
Halfmoon boys like yours are prone to getting holes and rips in their fins. The fins are very fragile and they can get torn just from flaring. And + to everything he is a bitter. Due to breeding, genetics, water movement,etc some larger finned males will have this problem chronically. So for fins like he has, small homes with no water movement,no decor is better. Agree may be some gravel will help. People even use plastic bottle tops of soda bottles. It is difficult to figure out what is the problem. You can even try to put toys outside of the tank to distract him.
Betta weren't meant to have such big fins. The big fins that we have bred them to have come with a prose: fragileness.
I would not keep his water temp too warm as infection thrive in the warmer water. Just keep the water extra clean to prevent an infection.
If you think there is infection then you can try first salt . The best medications for fin rot is API Triple sulfa. But i would not treat him even with salt until you absolutely sure he has fin rot.
How is he dong? Any changes in his regular behavior? You mentioned he sits more behind the heater. Any changes in his appetite?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tonight will be day 10 of the salt treatment...but aside from biting himself more I think I see some fin re-growth in places! The tips of his fins are pretty raggedy but they aren't black so I'm hopeful it isn't rot. I found a hide that is completely smooth (ceramic) to put in with him. I think maybe he hangs by the heater because he's shy. If I don't suction it to the very bottom he'll try to get underneath actually.

Should I give him a break from the salt and the daily water changes, or go a little bit longer? Appetite is ok too.

Thank you :)

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Weird tears in the bottom fin. Poor guy is so fragile. And he is next to the window but I keep the shutters closed so he isn't getting too much light. I could move him somewhere darker though.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Bettas are very prone to tears, comes with all the finnage I'm afraid.

The clear parts coming in do look like new growth a good sign! They will grow in clear and go blue later on.

It is best to take a break from the salt if he doesn't have any new signs of injury. bettas are freshwater fish and constant salt use can damage their kidneys (short term is fine)

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
+1
And even though he is in his hospital tank i think you don't have to do full daily water changes. I think you can do about every 3 days.
I think its a good idea to move him a little bit away from the window. Hmm not sure..never had my bettas next to the window. If he will bite his tail again i would try to move his tank away from the window.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Starting to see some definite fin rot :| Got some tetracycline today...forgot you mentioned triple sulfa but I'm hoping since it's all anti-biotic that it will help. I'm in the process of doing a water change and starting meds. It's better to lower temp a bit for rot right?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
It is considered a good idea to lower it slightly, it slows the progression.
If you havent started treatment yet i would recommend using the sulfa first and see if that clears him up- the tetra is a wonderful med but very strong. if you already have started dont stop halfway and keep going. We can see how he takes to it.

Its not a really severe case yet which is a great sign, he has been responding well to treatment so far. Keep us posted on his progress!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bleh I thought it was the other way around and tetra was the weaker of the slew of antibiotics out there. Well...he just started. We'll see!

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
They are really just as strong but attack different things. So either way you put them on the scale is technically accurate :) fingers crossed for you!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts