Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed that my betta hammock has a copper color in the end, and the wire in it also looks rusted at the very end (when I bought it the leaf was fully green). The water in the tank is fine, but should I throw it away just in case the rust leaks into the water?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've seen other members talk about pulling that metal rod out before using these leaves.

I'd take it out and toss it. I'd buy a new one and pull the metal out, then put it in.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Pull the metal out of the new one and then put it in the tank. I would throw the current one away - that's what I was trying to say above lol.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I threw it away but kept the suction cup so I can make my own. My mom has lots of fake flowers and leaves, so I'll just use hot glue (that's safe correct? just able to fall apart with some things?) to keep the stem of the leaf in.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
As long as the leaf you use doesn't leak dye, have a wire in it, and isn't too sharp

·
Registered
150 Posts
I think those leaves are on sale at Petco or petsmart for around 2 bucks now. If your betta loved it then just grab a new one and take the wire out. You might be able to find the post(s) on here where the users were talking about how they did it!

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I would use the flower leaves your mother has. They could have dyes that will leak into the water.

Also you cannot use hot glue because it will fall apart in the water. If you want to build your own "hammock" then you need to get some aquarium sealant and use silk flowers/leaves that are meant for aquariums.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to soak the leaf in separate water for a while (tips on how long for & if I add anything to the water?) because I never saw my betta use the hammock and if he doesn't use it I don't want to go buy another. I did put the leaf in the tank for about 30 minutes earlier and he did lay on that, so I'm hoping the dyes won't leak from it so I can use it.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Soak it in conditioner tank water (you can just use old tank water so you don't waste conditioner) for at least 2-4 weeks.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Another option is to buy or make those floating log/tunnel things. I made my own out of plastic canvas, very similar to the user who sells them in the classified section on this forum.

The bettas absolutely LOVE them! They swim through them and 2 of mine actually sleep in theirs. They are fairly easy to make and they float.

See below for an example. One of my guys hanging out in his!

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Here is another. He's very happy as evidenced by his bubble nest. This is Storm. He actually spends more time in his than out of it. It's like his little hiding place. :)

And as you can see, he also has the leaf you have. He has been on that leaf maybe 2 times. He Prefers the tunnel much more.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Bubble nests actually do not = happy. Bettas make them for all sorts of reasons -because they are bored, because they want to, because it is time to breed, to mark their territory. Even very sick fish will make bubble nests.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I might just make the canvas sheet tunnel. Is it safe to use any color because I saw on hobby lobby that they have florescent colors, and what would I secure the ends together with?

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I would just used undyed and uncolored canvas. I would be concerned with the dyes or paints leaching into the water.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts