Hello everybody. I was cleaning up my betta's 1.5 gallon Tank and noticed a rusty paper clip!:shock:
The reason I did a small water change and a full tank clean-up was because I noticed that the water had almost turned yellow! It is a filtered tank and I do regular water changes. But I guess what I really need to know is if the rust from the paper clip that I removed has (or will) injure my betta. If anyone has any knowledge on the topic it would be greatly appreciated, I can't find anything on the internet about the topic. Thanks!
If anything, a 100% water change should remove anything harmful in the tank.. you can rinse the gravel and decorations well, as well. If your betta doesn't look like there's anything wrong he should be alright, just keep an eye on him.
Well, do know if rust is toxic for fish? If I do a 100% water change then I will have to restart the tank cycle completely...If I have to I will but if the rust isn't toxic, or slightly toxic with a medium water change or is there was some other way to get rid of any toxicity without recycleing.
If it helps, I don't use gravel and I've already cleaned all the other decorations. I am doing more water changes than usual to help with the nitrites that went up after I found the rusty paper clip. Tony, my betta, looks and acts fine. Other than a minor case of 2 mounth old finrot that I am treating with bettafix, he is pretty healthy and active.
Now that I think about it, I guess I could use my Lake Malawi African Cichlid tank water to skip the recycle. But if anyone knows how toxic rust is that would be very much appreciated. Thanks!