Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? No

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Nutrafin betta plus pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3-4 Once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Nutrafin betta plus water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? S shaped body
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Less active, rests a lot
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)? 2- 2 1/2

So about two weeks ago we found that cat fur floating in the fish tank, assuming the cat had tried to get at the fish.

We changed his water completely and he seemed fine but he had a slight s curve to his figure, a couple weeks later he seemed lethargic so we did an extra water change on top of his weekly change,

by accident had the water too warm when we put him in... Felt really bad , we almost lost him from the temperature shock, started twitching and falling on his side face down but acting quickly transferred him into a glass with cooler water. I rotated the glass for about half an hour so he could breathe without over exerting himself, he is staying upright by himself now just resting at the top breathing bubbles every 30 seconds or so.. Gunna wait a while before putting him back in the tank..

Regardless if he makes it or not what I'm most concerned is what is causing the s shape in his body? Is seems he can't turn the other way I can't tell if it is his spine or bloating on one side..

Attachments

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
I really recommend that you get a thermometer. A glass thermometer costs about $1.65 at Walmart. (It looks like Petsmart currently has a great one for less than $2: click here to see it.)

Bettas are tropical fish and require temperatures in the range of about 76-84F. For most of us, this means using a heater. Since you don't have a heater in the tank, the water temp is most likely a few degrees below whatever your air temperature is. For example, if your room temp is 74F, then the water temp is probably close to 72F.

If the water temp is too low (lower than about 76F), it's too cold for a Betta. At cold temps, their metabolism slows down, they become lethargic, and are more susceptible to illness/diseases.

Also, when you change their water, it's best to match the current tank temperature (+/- 2 degrees F). Otherwise, you risk shocking them. Some people can judge by feel, but it's safer to check the new water temp with the thermometer.

Now, getting to your betta's current swollen side and S shape.... Since this happened right after the cat and water-change incident, it's possible that he was injured. The best way to treat him is with lots of clean, warm water. Do frequent water changes. If you plan on keeping him in the unfiltered 1-1.5 gal tank, add two partial water changes per week to your water change schedule. (Ie: one 100% and two 50% water changes per week.)

If the swelling hasn't decreased today, or has gotten worse, you can add some Epsom salt. Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) acts as a fluid reducer, and can help draw off any fluid that he's retaining due to injuries. (Do not use table salt or aquarium salt. Use Epsom salt only.)

If he's not better tonight, let us know and someone can explain how to use the Epsom salt.

Edited to add: Oh! I just noticed that this thread is already a few weeks old! I guess no one replied until today.... How is he doing now?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He got worse, got another post showing him slightly. Pineconing. I've been doing 100% water changes keeping him in a warm room and using Epsom salts and daphnia for constipation. Noting helping really, thou his scales have gone down the last 2 days

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used it since Thursday last week so 5 days or so. The second day he started pineconing slightly but I don't thing that was the medication I think it was because I fed him and he is already bloated, focus required me mixing it with his food but I don't want to do that anymore because I don't want to feed him until his bloat goes down.he didnt really look much better or anyworse, I put Epsom salts to try and help him expel some retained fluids and his scales went down a bit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts