Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i cam home from work, and looked my my beautiful fry, and at how big they were getting.

went to work out for a few hours, come home and all my fry were dead.... i have no idea why but im really upset ><

any pointers on how to avoid this in the future? i didnt do anything to the water or tank today..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry to hear about your baby fishies :(

I am not an expert..... a total noobie myself .. but some more information might help the others help us (also interesting for me to learn as much as possible). IE:

1) How old were the fry? Big spawn, small spawn?
2) What did you feed them?
3) Temp of Water?

etc.... ahahah not sure what else to ask... like i said me = noobie

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Your fry should be around two week old.
It only take a few hour to for the whole spawn to die out from the last time you check.
You didn't do anything with the water.

Will is the temperature still the same as yesterday.
Is the tank cover
Any cold dirfty around the tank or inside

Anything out of the ordernary happen around the house

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
water temp is 82, has been constant since i introduced my pair 2 weeks ago,
tank is covered
i feed them a combo of vinegar eels and micro worms
didnt do a water change today, and the room has no cold drafts
it was a small spawn, only about 100 fry

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Idk them
For that many fry wipe out in a couple of hour is strange

Even with sickness the fry won't just die out in a few hours

Wait up.
When did the egg hatch
If you only introduce your pair two week ago.
Your frys not two week old then

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The tank suppose to be establish/cycle before you put the fish in.
Haven't try cycling when there already fry.
Breeding tank always get a cup of old tank water
Then clean water.
Let it sit for about two to three week.
With some plant and snail.
When I'm not so lazy I usually remove the snail when the fish breed.
And introduce the snail back when fry are fry swimming.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I wouldn't try to cycle a tank with fish/fry in it, it puts too much stress on them and it could kill them aswell cause of the fluctuating water parameters. Thats prolly what killed your fry too. It happend on my first spawn so what I did was I added a used filter cartridge from an established tank before I started my 2nd spawn in order to jump start the cycling process. This might still take about a week before everything settles down.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I just asked a breeder who used to be a member here and she said a spawning tank doesn't have to be cycled because you'll be doing daily water changes anyway.
From what I learn is that the first two week your not suppose to do any change to the tank.
So if your fish take a week to breed.
That's three with without a water change

·
Super Moderator
6,447 Posts
Basically breeding tanks doesn't have to be cycled because you will ruin the cycle with the daily water changes. BUT, IME, If I don't age my water (not sure whether cycled or not) and allow micro critters grow in the tank, my fry wont last past 2 weeks. They look as if they're eating, and healthy.... but then suddenly they die.

I can't explain why because I too don't understand. All I know is that 99% of spawning in new water = 0 fry to adult. But in aged water, I can postpone wc until the second week. I can literally leave them on their own - without feeding (if I wanted to) for the first 2 weeks.

This aged water is in no way "cycled" and I will always do wc - after 3-5 days of free swimming (sometimes), I add about half of the water volume and wc either after the first or second week (in bigger tubs).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts