Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my new best friend Bubba. (Bubba Motha****in' Jones as his previous owner called him)

he's a rescue fish i've struggled with for a while.
he's lived with my friend for a little less than a year in a 1 gallon tank with no light except whenever someone used the windowless kitchen, and 100% water changes every 3 weeks.
it was so awful that i had to tell her to give me the fish.
so she did.

i unfortunately had no tank of my own so had to get this tiny 1/2 gallon until i could get the money together to build a home for him.

he lived in the tiny tank for a month. he was energetic at first but he slowly got more and more depressed bc my apartment is perpetually cold (tank was a plastic 1/2 gallon plus i had no heater) and there was no way of keeping the water warm even though i did everything i could including lighting an obscene amount of candles around one side of it. he did not eat for over a week then gave into hunger and started to be more normal as far as taking care of himself goes. but he did slow down a lot bc of the cold. he'd just sit at the bottom by the end of the month.

finally i got his new 5 gallon a couple days ago. it has a filter but its way too strong for a betta so i dont use it. i also just got a heater at last so the water is warm enough for him at last!! i have some decorations he sometimes likes to explore but he has yet to be truly active yet. he just likes to float around the surface. usually by a corner.

there are times when he joins me when i dance around his tank or responds to my singing but there seems to be something wrong still. he gets a little bloated sometimes but i dont think thats the real issue.

i wanna get medication if thats what he needs but this is my first fish.
i love him so much i always think about him whenever i'm not home. it just scares me to bits that this living creature whose life depends on me isnt getting the best treatment he needs...

please help?

here is a picture my friend took when she first got him

a picture of his new tank

here's him, in a corner as of late.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 85-88
Does your tank have a filter? yes but i rarely run it for a few minutes bc he cant swim in the ridiculous current
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? what???? D:
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? no

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? flakes and sometimes hikari freeze dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? once or twice a day depending on how bloated he seems.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? a cup or two every other day or so
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? dunno what it adds up to exactly
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? nope! the closest pet store is really far... and im on a budget.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? he seems to have changed in color.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? already told the story
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? nope, not yet bc i know nothing.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? no clue at all.

thanks you!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I usually dont have the light facing the tank, this was for picture purposes. i have it turned outward so the tank itself stays dim & not pitch dark but not like the surface of the sun either.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I don't think you need to treat him with anything. He looks like he will be fine to me. Some of a few things I will recommend however are below.

Food, I would get a good quality pellet. The two most recommended here are New life spectrum Betta Pellets. The other, Omega one Betta buffet pellets.

Your heating could come down a bit they need a minimum of 76F they prefer closer to 80F but I wouldn't recommend above 82F. One of the glass tube thermometers with the mercery balls with the suction cups to attached inside the tank are the most accurate ones to buy, if you don't have one. (couldn't see one in pics)

Your filter, you want to try and cycle the tank. If the flow is to strong try adding some filter wool to the filter compartment to slow the flow. You can also wrap some filter sponge around the outflow and attach with a cable to tie to slow the outflow.

What water conditioner do you have? If you have prime then that will help with the Ammonia and Nitrites you will get when you cycle. You will need to keep an eye on Ammonia if you decide not to cycle again the Prime will help with that and you can add to the tank in drops per gallon.

Well done for saving him and sure others will chip in with their thoughts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think you need to treat him with anything. He looks like he will be fine to me. Some of a few things I will recommend however are below.

Food, I would get a good quality pellet. The two most recommended here are New life spectrum Betta Pellets. The other, Omega one Betta buffet pellets.

Your heating could come down a bit they need a minimum of 76F they prefer closer to 80F but I wouldn't recommend above 82F. One of the glass tube thermometers with the mercery balls with the suction cups to attached inside the tank are the most accurate ones to buy, if you don't have one. (couldn't see one in pics)

Your filter, you want to try and cycle the tank. If the flow is to strong try adding some filter wool to the filter compartment to slow the flow. You can also wrap some filter sponge around the outflow and attach with a cable to tie to slow the outflow.

What water conditioner do you have? If you have prime then that will help with the Ammonia and Nitrites you will get when you cycle. You will need to keep an eye on Ammonia if you decide not to cycle again the Prime will help with that and you can add to the tank in drops per gallon.

thanks! i couldnt stand to watch a pet get so neglected.

i tried baffling the filter and everything but it ended up almost breaking the filter bc the flow gets super messed up instantly. i'm just gonna get a milder filter in a few weeks probably. this one came with the tank anyway so it doesn't really hurt me to invest in a more manageable thing.

My conditioner is tetra bettasafe.

i dont have a thermometer yet, i am going to get one soon as i can.

thanks for the response!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
update: he started to swim around a little while i was out for a smoke break.

i'm so happy he's slowly adjusting to his new home! :)

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
That temp needs to come down!! That's suuuper hot for a little fishy!!

So running a filter for a few minutes a day does no good. You can baffle the filter, or just run an unfiltered tank!! The issue is, the filter does not really FILTER out the toxins in the water. It's a place for bacteria to grow, that eat up the ammonia, and produce less toxic things. So until you can rig up/afford a more gentle flow, I'd do a 50% water change weekly, and one 100% monthly - importantly, clean the gravel!! Waste and food collects in there, and if you're skimming 50% off the top every time and not getting to the good stuff in the gravel, it doesn't do as much good!!

·
Registered
902 Posts
I would definitely go for pellet food and lower the temp a bit, but other than that, everything seems great. :) Good on you for saving him. He's pretty!

Like beautiful betta said, the best temperatures are between 76 and 82 F. My previous bettas really liked 84 F to the point where they'd hide from me until it went back to 84. My current bettas only like it at 82. Try to bring it down to 80-ish, gradually, and see how he is. :)

·
Registered
6,727 Posts

Hi, I agree with everything that has been said above. Do you have an adjustable heater? if you do, just turn it down.

As far as the filter goes, my filter had the same problem. How I fixed it is I went to petco and bough some sponge that is meant to go inside a filter. You can buy a small package for like $3. I cut a piece to fit the part of the filter where the water enters back into the tank and then just put a clean rubber band around it to keep it in place. Super cheap and easy to do to. Even my tiny female has no problem swimming around now.

I also recommend prime.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts