Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a sticky that says to use 1-2 tsp Epsom Salts per gallon, but my aquarium store sold me some salt they they bag themselves and it says:

Bulk Rock Salt for Koi, Goldfish, & Livebearers - Usage: 1 tbsp for every gallon of tank water

Do you think it's the same thing?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
The salt you bought is mostly NaCl - Epsom Salts is Magnesuim Sulfate, or MgSO4. They're pretty much exactly opposite of each other.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
You can use it for fish!! Basically, for internal, use ES, for external use AQ.
So like, SBD, use ES.
Fin rot? Use AQ salt (but don't actually, all they need is clean water)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I noticed the bloat then I gave him a bite of pea before I read not to give him any pea. So... ya, now I am!!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I'd give fasting 3-4 days, warm water will help more than anything :)

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Were you using the Aquarium salt when he started to bloat? The sodium in it can contribute to fluid retention and bloating. If you used it, then stopping it should make the bloat go away.

What brand of food do you feed him? Foods that contains a lot of grains/fillers can contribute to bloating and constipation. On this forum, the two most often recommended foods are:
-- New Life Spectrum Betta pellets, and
-- Omega One Betta Buffet pellets.
Both contain quality-proteins as their main ingredients, and are well tolerated by Bettas.

If you're not using Aquarium salt, and you're already feeding either NLS or OO, then let us know. If this is the case, adding a small amount of Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate / magnesium sulfate heptahydrate) may help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts