Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to just divide my old 10 gallon in half because 3rds and 4ths were really tricky, and my Betta didn't seem happy in that small of space. I now have two 5 gallon sides, one already has a Betta in it. My question is, can there be any other thing that can live in a 5 gallon with him? I don't really want a snail, as I've never had that much luck with them. Would a few Guppies work? Or maybe a type of Tetra? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
A couple guppies if he isn't violent (and they don't have babies)
One African dwarf frog would be ok
Neon tetras (not too many, if he doesn't kill them)

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
Putting other fish in with him in 5gals is pushing it. Usually snails or shrimp are recommended.

If you can devote the whole 10g to one Betta, you can house a shoal of 5 or 6 pygmy Corydoras, maybe Tetras. Check community tank threads in the Betta Compatibility section.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Ya make the whole ten gallon for him. Than one can get some habrosus cories, and a school of a nice small schooling fish (neons, cardinals, black neons, glowlights, chile rasboras, embers, ect...)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
548 Posts
It tends to - unfortunately - be common practice but it really isn't what's best for the fish. Just because a fish is smaller, doesn't necessarily mean it could live in a small tank. Guppies, for example, are smaller than bettas but can't be kept in a 2.5 or even a 5 gallon. Some fish are just too active for smaller tanks and among them are neon tetras, glolight tetras and cardinal tetras.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Well ya that guppy thing is ridiculous. I had some a while ago and they never stop moving. I dont know how someone could throw them in a 5 gallon. I find neons, cardinals and glowlights very nonactive. I have a school of ten neons in my 16 gallon bow, and they dont move a lot. I have 5 cardinals in my 29 and they dont move a heck of a lot either, but they do get somewhat bigger.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
548 Posts
There is a possibility something is wrong if those fish aren't active in your tanks. They are extremely active fish. If you aren't looking to remove the divider and don't want snails, shrimp are your only option in a section that small. Fish are still limited in 10 gallons but you do have a few more choices. Let us know what you're planning on doing! :)

·
Super Moderator
23,872 Posts
My Neons and Embers in my 20 long are quite active with the Embers being less so than the Neons. The only time the Neons were less active was when I had to temporarily house them in a 10. Will never do that again. I am against any fish other than maybe some sort of pygmy cory in anything 10 gallons or less. Also one has to consider that Bettas are placid fish and adding active tank mates in such a small space can stress them out and leave them vulnerable to disease.

That's why I'd stick with an African Dwarf Frog or two; however, I also wouldn't add anything to a tank other than a Betta until it has been fully cycled for at least a couple of months. This is especially true of any sort of shrimp. I waited until my 20 was full of algae to get Nerites because I didn't want them to starve.

People keep fish in less-than-ideal situations all of the time; but for the long-term health of a species it's kinder to do what's right for the fish.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Neons are schooling fish and tend to hang out in a group. They are reluctant to leave the safety of the group, which would be a reason why they aren't zooming all over your tank. I agree with you, a small school of three or four neons or cardinal tets should be fine in a 10 gallon.

Well ya that guppy thing is ridiculous. I had some a while ago and they never stop moving. I dont know how someone could throw them in a 5 gallon. I find neons, cardinals and glowlights very nonactive. I have a school of ten neons in my 16 gallon bow, and they dont move a lot. I have 5 cardinals in my 29 and they dont move a heck of a lot either, but they do get somewhat bigger.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I want to do the split 10 because I've already bought everything I need to divide it! Thank you for your answers, I'll just keep a Betta on each side I think!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Neons are schooling fish and tend to hang out in a group. They are reluctant to leave the safety of the group, which would be a reason why they aren't zooming all over your tank. I agree with you, a small school of three or four neons or cardinal tets should be fine in a 10 gallon.
But the only time i have seen my anything school (besides rummies) is when there scared. If you have neons that dont leave each others sides, that isnt really normal. Cuz schooling fish only really "school" when they are scared. In my 29 my cardinals go everywhere but not very fast and do more of like a hovering, plus they dont really school anymore cuz they know it is safe.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Kind of straying from my own topic, because I think this is quite interesting, I think it depends on schooling fish type, size and temperament. I currently have 5 types of schooling fish (Mollies, Guppies, Harlequin Rasboras, Black Neons, Neon Tetra). Each type acts very different. My Mollies NEVER school together, even the fry! My Guppies will usually school out of boredom, but will otherwise roam freely (staying in one general area). My Rasboras school freely, traveling together but spread out, and every once in a while separating to explore! My Black Neon Tetras (which are huge!) will school together only when scared, other than that they'll roam around like they aren't even school fish! :lol:My Neon Tetras, however NEVER leave eachother NEVER move from one place often, and never roam. The Mollies, Guppies and Rasboras are in my 30 gal. with 2 Gouramis and a Betta, and both types of Tetras are in my 75 gal. with a huge Angelfish, a big Silverdollar and 2 Rams. I personally don't like Tetras as much as the others, for those reasons. It seems Tetras only work (if they ever really do) when they're together. IMO when separated Tetras don't usually think or react very well to anything, which I personally find unattractive of any fish. My favorite schooling fish that I have would be my Guppies and my Rasboras!

Ps. Sorry for the long post!

·
Registered
548 Posts
You could but I wouldn't do anthing else. That's really pushing it size-wise. They aren't all that social however.

Schooling/Shoaling fish do so differently. Some are tighter (cardinals, rummynose), some are looser(neons). They do so to keep predators at bay, however, making it seem like they are a much larger fish and confusing them as to which end is what. They do shoal tighter when scared but this is not the only time they shoal/school.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.