Betta Fish Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1426 Posts

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I don't like fix medications. They're mostly just money grabbers for people who don't know any betta. I bought Bettafix a long time ago, and I still have it. I've never used it because there are better and stronger medications that are more specific out there.

What I have used as medication for fin rot is plain old water changes, Methylene Blue and AQ Salt mixed in a bath, Kanaplex, and now Furan-2 mixed with Kanaplex. Nothing has worked with him.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi Tourmaline! Just catching up to the new journal thread. Thanks for sharing the pics of your lovely bettas! Someday, I need to get around to posting pics of all of mine.

I wish I had some advice about Sebastian's continuing issues with fin rot. The only other medication that I can think of that you haven't tried is a triple sulfa. Other than that, I'm all out of ideas.

Bless you for saving him. Even with his short fins, he's so grumpy-faced adorable!

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
I'll order some Triple Sulfa. Can it be mixed with anything? I just really want to kill this fin rot off once and for all.

Only one more day until Roman is shipped. I'm so excited and so scared at the same time. I mean, he doesn't have to travel far, he's only two small states away, but I've seen so much go wrong with shipping Bettas. I'm just dreading opening the box and finding him lifeless, with my luck.

I didn't make the hideaways yesterday. I was exhausted from running around all day with a car rental. I think I went to maybe 20 different stores, and I only got maybe 4 hours of sleep. My mother asked to help me with them because she loves little arts and crafts. I also got some black mesh for black hideaways. I didn't see anyone doing that on the DIY Thread, I should have grabbed one of every color.

Update on the Zebra Nerite I'm considering naming Marty.. He's still alive, he still has both of his feelers, and he's eaten almost all the algae in Azure's tank already. I'm very, very surprised Azure has left him alone. It's not like he blends in or anything, he sticks out like a sore thumb. Azure is very curious of new things in his tank, I thought he'd have picked him to death by now, or I'd have to move the snail. But, nope. He's happily eating while the most aggressive fish I have completely ignores something small and killable.

I remember Olivia posted a thread asking whether Betta fish recognized people or not.. They do. I realized today that the only time Sebastian flares and acts like a crazy fish is when my mother is in front of his tank. I let her feed him today and he wouldn't eat it either. Interesting stuff.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
One thing I tried when Liam battled fin rot was using a peroxide solution to wash everything in his tank. Plants, filter, the walls, everything. Then rinse really well. I was worried bacteria was still in the tank even with the meds. Also, I started soaking pellets in vitachem every morning and twice a week putting probiotics on the pellets to help strengthen his immune system.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I wouldn't mix anything with triple sulfa. It's already a mixture of several medications.

Lord, I hope something gets rid of his fin rot!!!!!

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
It seems that Triple Sulfa is my last hope. It's really bad.. He's worse now than when I got him. Is it possible that I made the bacteria resistant to medication by treating him with MB for so long?

I made two floating tubes. One for Sebastian, and one I had to keep moving between tanks to see who would actually use it. The only one who showed any interest in it was Meeko, so it's his now. I'm making two more tomorrow, I'll try it with Merlin and Rajah, since I didn't try it in their tanks. Oh and I'm making a black one for Roman's tank too.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
MB is - technically - not even a med. So I doubt that. I do hope the next treatment plan works x

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'll try to get a picture of him but he has tears in his anal fin, splits in the middle of it that don't go down to the ends. His caudal is almost gone completely. All of the regrowth he had is gone.

I'm so desperate at this point.

·
Registered
528 Posts
As a last resort, but I don't think you are at that point yet, but just saying as a completely last resort, you could try taking him out of the tank and dabbing hydrogen peroxide to affected areas. I read that it works wonders BUT you absolutely can't get any on his gills or he'll die.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Decided to have a little photoshoot with Rajah since I can never get a good picture of him. Got three. I also discovered he's very close to being a HMPK. The very base of his caudal reaches 180 degrees flared but it's rounded. Not sure if that qualifies. Got a picture of it but it came out horribly blurry.

View attachment 736074
View attachment 736090

Always so angry..
View attachment 736082

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Roman is officially on his way here as of yesterday. He should be here tomorrow. Hopefully my data lasts until then so I can spam this thread with pictures. x.x

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Roman should be here in 2-4 hours. I just finished making his little floating tube. And I've been eyeing his temperature. It seems his heater isn't working like it's supposed to despite being fine for a week. The most it'll go up to is 76 degrees, on the highest setting. I think the light is just turning on but it's not heating anything. It was just at a stable 80 degrees two days ago.

Something always seems to go wrong when I try getting another Betta.. Maybe that's a sign. First Sebastian with the cracked tank the day before I was going to bring him home, then Meeko with the missing divider piece, now the broken heater. Aghhh.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
What kind of heater is it? I know one kind I've used after a while wouldn't heat past 72.

21 - 40 of 1426 Posts