Betta Fish Forum banner

1021 - 1040 of 1426 Posts

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,021 (Edited)
The red guy was acclimating in a 5g, the blue guy in a 10g. It's only temporary, it's a sort of QT kinda thing. I'm letting them recover from shipping and making sure they're 100% healthy before putting them together in the divided 20g. I'll give them maybe a month since that's the recommended QT time.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,022
Better pictures of the two big guys. I'm thinking about naming the red male Alydar, Idk about the blue guy. I kinda want to name something similar to Meeko, but I'm not sure. Alydar came to me almost immediately though.
20161116_190321.jpg 20161116_190257.jpg 20161116_190210.jpg 20161116_190139.jpg

20161116_190108.jpg 20161116_190020.jpg 20161116_185959.jpg 20161116_185931.jpg
They are seriously stunning. I see why @BettaStarter24 likes giants so much xD I was awestruck just watching them swim around, I've never even seen a giant in person before so I was just thinking "Wow" in my head the entire time.

Red male clocks in at 2.5" BO, and around 3" including fins. Blue male is a bit bigger body wise but with smaller fins, I haven't been able to get a good measurement of him because he's kinda crazy lol.

I also brought home a VT female I've had my eye on for about two weeks now. Every other female was bought except for her, I don't know why. She's lovely, all the rest of the VT females we got in had really short fins and were mostly cambodians which I don't like too much.
20161116_194434.jpg 20161116_194353.jpg 20161116_192724.jpg
People have weird taste, they'd rather buy our plain short finned girls than a vibrant red long finned female that's the same price. I think she's pretty, at least.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Aw, that VT gal is really pretty ;v; I don't know why anyone would pass her up, I'm not into females almost at all, but I really like her! And I'm loving those kings, they look so intriguing. I personally always pick names rather quickly for animals, and Meta's came to me before I even got him home, but I feel you with wanting to get just the right names, it can be a struggle sometimes. I'm excited to see more of your bettas :) You have really nice tanks and bettas!

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
OMG I LOVE the new guys!!! I'm so happy they are OK!!! I think 15 pellets will be just fine, my biggest boys get about 10 soaked NLA pellets, and even then they can keep eating! Sometimes I do let them have extra, especially if I've pinched more than 30 for all 3 of them.
I adore your new girl too! I've been really impressed with Pet Smarts females. Ours has this Orange cambodian CT girl that's been there a while.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,025
The VT girl died very suddenly. I'm a bit confused, she had no signs of illness. :/ Well, that's better than her dying in a cup, I suppose.. I just don't know her cause of death.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Oh, sorry about the little girl... we never know what they went through before they come to us.
LOVE your giants, especially the blue! I was thinking he reminds me of a Mako shark, but maybe that's too close to Meeko ?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Ohh I like Mako for a name. The new boys are adorable! Sorry about the new girl. Maybe something internal?

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
No! I'm so sorry to hear about your girl! :-(

I do like Mako, it would be like a little hat nod to Meeko <3

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,029
I like Mako a lot too, and I was looking for a name close to Meeko but I couldn't think of one. Mako and Alydar it is!

I favor Alydar's form more, but Mako is a lot calmer and more interested in things rather than just crazy like Alydar. I noticed that even when they were in their bags still. Mako was looking around and curious while Alydar was just trying to break out.

And Mako has this love for splashing which I don't understand. xD He's not jumping, he's just... Splashing. He'll dart down from the surface and splash his tail really loud and scare the crap out of me.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,030
I was browsing eBay and found a Platinum PK, had to get him. I love his spade shape tail, even if his form isn't the best. It looks like he'll marble red looking at the tip of his anal fin. I'm probably going to name him Shiro.
20161118_033616.jpg 20161118_033603.jpg
I really like buying imported Bettas, they seem a lot more healthy. Two giants that came from Thailand into the US, then to me from California are in great shape, and a female I bought the same day they came died in 24 hours.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,031
Mako refuses to try frozen bloodworms. -.- I gave him some Mysis Shrimp yesterday and he loved them, but he wouldn't even eat a single bloodworm. The MTS in his tank are going to have a field day with those dropped pieces. Alydar was all over them like blue on a veiltail. Amara was a fan of both the Mysis and the bloodworms, but she's a fat fish. She'll eat anything that I give her without question.

Oh, I also added some more plants to his tank. I figured if I can spend a small fortune on him, Alydar, and platinum PK maybe named Shiro, I can spend another bigger fortune on converting his tank to fully live planted. I removed the crappy plastic ones in there today, Alydar's tank is already heavily planted and showing signs of growing so I don't have to spend anything on his setup.

20161118_214537.jpg

I may switch his tank over to a glass top and a Finnex Stingray. I had to abandon that idea for the 5g, since I could only find glass tops for a 5.5g, but I can do it with a 10g easily.

Alydar is really a nutcase. I tried adding some root tabs to his tank, and he darts over to my hand and tries to eat the tab out of my fingers and slams into it. Really, fish!? Mako just kinda swims over and watches.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,032
The last empty tank has a resident, even if two of them aren't here yet. I'm hoping I'll be able to get over the losses a little easier seeing a Betta in the tanks. Having them empty is taking a toll on me.

I bought this guy in addition to the white PK, he's from the same seller so I took advantage of combined shipping. His form is bad, but dear god that coloration. I think he's incredibly unique.
s-l1600 (5).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg
The white PK will be going in the planted 2.5g, and the other will be going into what was Mizu's 5.5g. I may switch them if one seems more active than the other, giving the more active one the bigger tank.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Congratulations on the new boys! I really like the dark one's color, too. Reminds me of halloween!

·
Registered
509 Posts
I wonder what the platinum will look like eventually. I like that shape tail too. Do you think that silver hailstorm one will change too?

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,035
He'll probably be either red, blue, or both. They're the most common Betta colors, and most marbles will marble to that sort of color. It's rare for a Platinum Betta to stay white, but I've always wanted one.

The 'starry night' HMPK (that's what he was called in his ad) will probably lose the light flecks and the red and blue will spread more, but there's a chance the black will stay where it is and it won't spread much since it has no other color to take over. I'm not sure about his coloration, I haven't seen it before so I can't judge how he'll marble too well.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
It is possible that the white will stay. Granted I have only had one platinum Betta stay stable. That was Elrond. My first white HMPK marbled to blue and then back to white before he died.

All the new guys are gorgeous! I'm in love with Mako.

Sorry to hear about the bucket incident.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,037
I kinda figured he'll marble red because the very tip of his anal fin looks pinkish like it'll turn red. I also found some more Platinum HPMK's with slightly spade shaped tails like his from different sellers, I assume they're siblings. A few of them had flecks of red already. Hopefully I can enjoy him white for a bit at least.

And some pictures of Alydar who I've branded The Nutcase™. He managed to tear his dorsal, I don't even know on what, everything in his tank is live plants. -.- Crazy fish.
20161121_213002.jpg 20161121_213101.jpg 20161121_213117.jpg

Mako since everyone seems to love him xD Alydar is a lot more shark like than him, he's pretty chill.
20161121_213443.jpg 20161121_213229.jpg 20161117_222757.jpg

Amara because she's cute. My phone does not like the top of that tank, the light messes with it.
20161121_214923.jpg 20161121_214958.jpg 20161121_215017.jpg

I tried to get some of Meera but she's way too fast for my camera. All I got in all of them was a pink/whiteish blur. :(

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,038
I ordered a bunch of Anacharis, I hear many members growing it so I ordered some to try it out in Alydar and Mako's tanks. I'm not sure where I'm going to stuff them in Alydar's tank, but I'm hoping there will be enough to actually fill Mako's.

I may be getting a big shelving unit soon, and that means more tanks. :p Maybe.. It's only $14, even if it can't hold tanks, it can be used for something else. We'll see. If it can hold tanks, my wallet is definitely going to suffer with my new found love for planted tanks and imported Bettas..

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,039
The two new boys are finally here. They were in the mail for 5 days thanks to complications. Some pictures

This guy is really hard to photograph, he's been darting around exploring
20161126_192428.jpg 20161126_192401.jpg 20161126_192253.jpg

And maybe possibly Shiro. He's a lot calmer, maybe he's just recovering. I see signs of diamond eye in his left eye already, and he has black on his ventrals and a now darker red in him. I have a feeling he'll marble fast.
20161126_191730.jpg 20161126_191700.jpg

I also kiiinda bought a Fluval Spec V from PetSmart on Black Friday. It only came out to $49 with my discount, I had to get one. I'm not sure where I'm going to put it, I have to find a stand tomorrow, but come on, $49!

I also kinda bought a Betta for that Spec V. I had my eye on him, I thought he was gorgeous. But then his listing disappeared so I thought someone bought him. His listing came back up (someone bought him but never paid), and I nabbed him. I have a newfound love for VTs thanks to Diablo.
20161122_010436.jpg 20161122_010423.jpg

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,040
A few more pics of the white PK, he's a lot calmer so he's easier to get pictures of.
20161126_232224-1.jpg 20161127_023813-1.jpg 20161126_232430-1.jpg
You can see how white his eye is in the last picture.. I usually avoid dragons because of how prone they are to it, I'm actually frustrated with the seller for not telling me he was going to go blind in that eye.

1021 - 1040 of 1426 Posts