Betta Fish Forum banner

1041 - 1060 of 1426 Posts

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
That is frustrating for you and irresponsible of the seller not to mention the diamond eye.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,042 (Edited)
I just bought some Banana Leaves for him off Amazon since the shipping is faster, it only comes with 10 pieces. I also ordered one that comes with a bunch off eBay but it won't be here for a few weeks.

I'm hoping I can help him, I don't want him to lose vision in that eye, and I hear Banana Leaves help. I also ordered IAL since I haven't had any for a while. He is a lot more active today, not just floating and staring but actually swimming around. I think the 5 days in the mail was worse on him.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,043
Lots of pics. I was taking pictures of Kasai and decided to just do everyone who would let me get a picture. Of course, as usual, the only one I couldn't get a clear picture of was Merlin. And Cas was having none of it and kept backing away and hiding, so I just left him alone.

The original reason I started taking pictures. I'm not sure what's up with Kasai, his fins look tattered. Could he be fin biting? There's nothing in there he could be tearing them like that on.
20161127_192549.jpg 20161127_192630.jpg 20161127_192657.jpg

Amara is getting some red in her, she's not all blue anymore.
20161127_193514.jpg 20161127_193544.jpg

I think that's the most full Diablo's caudal is ever going to be, it hasn't grown anymore. He hasn't bitten in the last week either, so I'm hoping he's done with that.
20161127_193643.jpg 20161127_193621.jpg

The only two clear pictures I have managed to get of Meera in a long time, her belly is dark from gorging on extra bloodworms meant for the shrimp. -.- Fatty. She has not grown at all, I'm thinking she's just permanently tiny, probably stunted.
20161127_193716.jpg 20161127_193733.jpg

Alydar flaring at a Mystery Snail. He's fine with them, has never bitten them. However, he does flare at them when they move fast.
20161127_192357.jpg

The new guy, I managed to get some clearer pictures. He's really difficult to get clear pictures of, he darts everywhere. He flares at nothing too.
20161127_192220.jpg 20161127_192147.jpg 20161127_192036.jpg

Mr. Mako, his tank has this weird patch of I think algae that he just loves swimming behind when I'm trying to get a picture. I need to clean that after this..
20161127_193804.jpg 20161127_193819.jpg

And finally, Shiro. Because he posed. And I wanted some clear pictures of his eye so I can see how quickly it gets better or worsens. And I wanted pics to keep track of marbling.
20161127_194019.jpg 20161127_194049.jpg

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Kasai could be fin biting. His light looks bright, and sometimes that stresses them (or reflections stress them) and can make biters bite. Does he flare a lot, too? I've read that sometimes they can tear their fins from flaring/overexercise, too. I've never seen it happen to my fish, though.

Others look nice!

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,046
Shiro is officially on treatment for his diamond eye. I put some banana leaf and some IAL in his tank. He seems fine otherwise, he made a bubble nest and he's extremely active. The unnamed guy is doing well too.

Oh and the VT is on his way to me. I just ordered a 3 tier stand, I'm hoping it'll be able to hold 3 5gs. It's made to hold up to 40gs, so I don't see why it wouldn't.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,047
I finally got that little floating Betta mirror, I've been trying to get a flare pic of Shiro with no success since getting him. He flared fully at this mirror, buuuut he darts around and never fully extends his fins because he's busy being crazy
20161130_160747.jpg 20161130_160808.jpg 20161201_010017.jpg 20161201_010544.jpg 20161201_010604.jpg

And a bonus sort of flare pic of the still unnamed guy who I'm leaning towards naming Mystic.
20161201_010138.jpg

Is craziness a PK thing? Every PK I've owned had some level of crazy in them.

Oh, and a picture I took the other day of Alydar's jungle.
20161129_181249.jpg
That Anacharis hasn't come in yet, I'm not sure when it'll be delivered. I don't think I'm going to put any in his tank, it's all going in Mako's. There's just no room anymore in Alydar's tank, but that's how I like it. :p

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,049
The VT got here before I left for work. I didn't realize this when I bought him, but he looks exactly like Duke, just in VT form, and this guy doesn't have a butterfly band. Then again, neither did Duke before he died. I'll post some pictures of him tomorrow.

The Anacharis also came in today, I managed to stuff a bundle into Alydar's tank, but the other two bundles went into Mako's tank. I still need some taller plants for his tank, but it's starting to shape up. Pictures of that tomorrow also.

I'm also looking at getting a black dragon PK. I have my eye on one, but I have to see how much spending money I have left after setting up the Spec V. It's actually not even up right now, the new guy is in a temporary 1g until Monday. I was expecting the stand that his tank was going to go on to get here a lot faster. :/

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,050
*Sigh* No pictures today, I did have to take a few of Mako earlier for a disease and emergencies post. He most likely has an internal tumor, nothing I can do about it. I'm pretty upset to say the least.

And now Shiro's tank is infested with bladder snails. I have no idea what they hitchhiked on, the only thing I've put in his tank is banana leaf and IAL. I've taken about 10 out already, there's probably still more hiding. And I can't find his little ramshorn now, I don't know what happened to it. And as I'm typing this, I finally see it scooting along the sand. Good, I like that little snail. However, bladder snails are not welcome in my tanks.

I almost bought a Betta Mahachai today. They don't seem to be a hard wild Betta to care for, I'd just need a 5.5g for one, 10g for a pair, and it needs to be heavily planted and be brackish. They need hard water, which I have. They're incredibly gorgeous, I want one.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,051 (Edited)
So.. I impulse bought a female.. I was browsing eBay for a female I liked for two weeks now. All I kept finding was males. I couldn't say no to her. She's a 'gold' dragon, although I don't really see the gold, I just see cello and white.
20161203_232812.jpg 20161203_232756.jpg 20161203_234102.jpg
They had a red dragon HMPK female, which I've been looking for, but every time I see a coloration I like, I don't like their fin shape. I like both on this girl, so I jumped on her. Females sell like hotcakes on eBay, especially the pretty ones. I look at one that I like, not even 10 minutes later, sold.

I'm also looking into setting up a tank for a wild Mahachai pair, or just one until I can find a female, since I only see males for sale. I'm extremely interested in them now.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
*Sigh* No pictures today, I did have to take a few of Mako earlier for a disease and emergencies post. He most likely has an internal tumor, nothing I can do about it. I'm pretty upset to say the least.

And now Shiro's tank is infested with bladder snails. I have no idea what they hitchhiked on, the only thing I've put in his tank is banana leaf and IAL. I've taken about 10 out already, there's probably still more hiding. And I can't find his little ramshorn now, I don't know what happened to it. And as I'm typing this, I finally see it scooting along the sand. Good, I like that little snail. However, bladder snails are not welcome in my tanks.

I almost bought a Betta Mahachai today. They don't seem to be a hard wild Betta to care for, I'd just need a 5.5g for one, 10g for a pair, and it needs to be heavily planted and be brackish. They need hard water, which I have. They're incredibly gorgeous, I want one.
Bladder snails are my enemy! I can't get rid of them no matter how many I kill and they have spread between tanks.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Good luck with your female! She's a cutie!

Every once in a while, I put a lettuce leaf in a tank over night, then throw it away. It gets rid of a bunch of snails each time I do that. Otherwise, they seem to always have 1-2 survivors at least in each tank.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,054
A dose of copper works too, but just make sure you take out any pet snails first. I wouldn't dose Shiro's tank with copper because of the Ramshorn, it's pretty hard to find 90% of the time.

So something funny happened today. It's bloodworm day, I was feeding Meera. And one of the ghost shrimp in her tank snatched a bloodworm out of her mouth and started eating it xD I have never seen a fish look so offended. She kept looking at the shrimp and then at me as if she was saying 'Can you believe this nonsense!?'. I gave her two more as a consolation.
20161204_143229.jpg

I also forgot to mention I switched Diablo to a 2.5g and put the red dragon VT in his tank. Diablo chewed off his entire caudal again so I'm seeing if he likes a smaller tank. I'm going to try to live plant it like the other 2.5g Shiro is in.

And here is the new VT. This floating mirror makes flare pictures a lot easier. xD
20161204_144950.jpg 20161204_145006.jpg 20161204_145044.jpg 20161204_145109.jpg 20161204_145125.jpg
The Spec V still isn't set up (stand says Wednesday for delivery), but when it is it'll probably house the gold dragon girl. It depends on how this VT takes to the tank. If he starts biting, I'm moving him to the Spec V.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Hehe, those ghost shrimp can get a bit cheeky. I had mine with guppy fry, and they'd actually hang upside down on the floating plants and snatch the fry's food at feeding time!

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
My roommate is so jealous of your new girl. She's been looking for a gold dragon for forever

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,057
A male or female? There's a gold dragon HMPK male on eBay, but I wanted a female.
Live Betta Fish Red Dotted Gold Dragon HMPK (Halfmoon Plakat) Male DG027 | eBay
This guy has red spots though, but he's up for bidding. I've purchased from this seller before, he's very nice.

I'm also looking at this black dragon, I'll see how much his bidding goes up to. He's at $4.49 with four and a half days remaining, $15 shipping. I'll be able to get him if he doesn't go for a crazy amount, I get paid the day his bidding is over. So I can get his tank and stuff over the weekend before he's shipped.
s-l1600 (8).jpg s-l1600 (7).jpg s-l1600 (6).jpg

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Female specifically but that male is gorgeous!

The black dragon is whoa boy!

1041 - 1060 of 1426 Posts