Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my betta died yesterday. (actually my daughters betta). His name was Samurai Jack. My daughter was living with my friend for several months due to my own illness... and being in and out of the hospital. When my daughter came back home she brought Samurai Jack home with her. He was in a small bowl, plastic plants, pellet food, no water conditioner, no heater, no filter and torn fins. I had no money at the time due to thanksgiving and Christmas wiping me out. So I let it slide since he still seemed active and was eating. and the fins could have been from him noming on his own tail. and I just plain had no money to buy fish stuff atm.

I did partial water changes everyday due to the bowl being like only 1.5 gallons if that and seeming to get dirty fast. My daughters only responsibility was to feed him no more then 4 pellets a day and to remove any food still floating after 5 to 10 minutes. I would often ask her if she fed him and how much... she would tell me yes and only 4 pellets... She was lying... I found like 20 pellets floating at the top of the tank a few weeks back (she said she had forgotten to feed him and was trying to makeup for it.) I had been wondering why the bowl was getting dirty so fast and attributed it to the small tank and bacteria bloom.) the second I saw the pellets I knew we were in trouble... this Betta fish doesn't have an off switch when eating... he ate stuff the second it hit the surface. I took a worried look at the fish and there he was not swimming correctly at the Bottom of the bowl!! POOR JACK!! he didn't look good I felt so guilty for not monitoring my 8 year old and not being able to get him a proper tank faster... She never lies to me ... I didn't expect her to lie about how she was feeding him!

As soon as I could I took the Christmas money I had gotten to buy a new laptop battery and all extras cash I could find and had my friend drive me down to the Petco ( I have seizures and don't drive). I bought him a new 2.5 gallon tank, betta hammock, heater, filter, Melafix, tap water conditioner, silk plants and God know what else. I brought a baggy with some of his tank water in with me and had them test the levels they said I had the water levels perfect so I at least know I was doing enough water changes. I prepped the tank added the Melafix for the damage fins ... most likely fin rot and aclimated my betta to the tank. He obviously had SBD from the over feeding at this point so I fasted him for 2 days and then tried to feed him a quarter of a cooked peeled pea... he refused to touch it. the next day I removed his marbles so I could watch for poop. his belly was getting bigger he was sinking to the bottom and having a hard time reaching the top for air so I lowered his water level to help him reach the top... I continued making sure his tank was clean and trying to feed him peas... I even bought freeze dried blood worms pre soaked them and tried to mix them up with the pea... offering it to him with a tooth pick... he wouldn't eat... he didn't poop... epson salt baths didn't even help and he refused to flare... this went on for like 2 weeks... yesterday he showed signs of dropsy.... raise pinecone like scales... so I rushed over to the vet supply and got him antibiotics.... I spent hours keeping an eye on him and gentlely trying hel him reach the surface for air. he died that night. :(.... I took his death hard because he should have never been in this situation .. I felt nothing but guilt.....

How could I allow this to Happen . I hate any kind of animal cruelity.. If only I raise money sooner to give him a better home... If only I caught on that my daughter wasn't being honest... I failed as my childs teacher...

She knows now! she watched me try to baby Samurai Jack when he got sick... She had to hear me lecture her about caring for animals better. I showed her how hard it was for him to swim to the top and his bloated belly. I made her promise it would never happen again... I told her I was sorry for my part.. he should have had a bigger tank and a heater. we will be getting a betta in the future so she can see how a health happy betta looks and how fulfilling it is to take care of one properly. (after all I spent all this money I didn't really even have to spend on betta supplies). I am Sooo sorry I failed you Samurai Jack! never again! ever!

In loving memory of Samurai Jack. I hope your story helps save another bettas life

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am very sorry to hear poor Samurai Jack passed away. I had a fish pass from dropsy as well. There isn't much you can do for organ failure. Sometimes it takes a while for a fish purchased to present it. Your daughter overfeeding him would not have caused it, but it would have certainly worsened his condition and ability to swim/fight the issue. I hope your future fish does well and lives a happy life also.

Sidenote: I understand your concern with your daughter lying and overfeeding him. Two of my brothers did the same thing to me, but both have a tendency to lie. :-? The one was starved to death basically because he was eating less for various reasons and was partially blind so he had trouble finding his food (my older brother fed him until he moved out and the fish died two weeks after). The other brother was originally charged to feed the fish as well, because he's more responsible, but he has no regard for life it seems. He'd overfeed and it caused ammonia spikes and fin rot. I couldn't do anything about all of this because these fish were left home, while I was at college. Basically, we both have to be more diligent when it comes to fish care and those entrusted to care for them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for your loss. It is very evident that you cared very much for this fish and tried to do the best you could. Please do not be so hard on yourself.
thank you :). I called several vets in the area... none see fish. but one vet was super nice and asked if I tried the pea treatment and several other questions... He listened really well and told me I was doing all I could do for him. he had no additional advice but was super kind. I honestly didnt think I would even find a vet that would take the time to talk to me on the phone about my fish. he let my ramble for a long time. It was very comforting even though he couldn't really help.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. You did everything you could to take care of that little guy, and I'm sure he knows it. I'm sure he's up there in fishy heaven and very happy.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
It sounds like you loved him dearly, and I know he appreciated all your hard work to help him, but like Panacea said, dropsy can't be cured, I just lost my boy to it Wednesday. SIP sweet boy. I wish you nothing but luck with your next friend!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.