Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought my 5 gallon tank and wanted to do a planted aquarium. I chose sand as a substrate because it looks nice, and I think it helps plants grow. I forgot to rinse my sand(National Geographic Aquarium Substrate, White) and the water clouded up like crazy. I let the tank sit for 1 and 1/2 days, but it still looks very cloudy.

The pictures are after waiting 1 and 1/2 days for the sand to settle.
P.S.(I took my ornaments out and kept my plants in the front just so I could see them. In the future I will have a nicely planted and decorated tank for my betta)

Attachments

·
Registered
661 Posts
I don't see a filter, which is probably the problem.
The dust will take a long time to settle out, but a filter will catch the dust in the filter media. Add a filter and you could have the water clear in a day or two.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the Fluval Spec V so the filter is sort of hidden in the black strip to the right of the aquarium. Before the picture, I had my water all the way up, but I took it out because I thought it would help the sand settle. Before I did that though, I had the filter on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Since this is a new tank and probably not cycled, I would suggest taking out as much water out as you can and add in all new water, very slowly. Maybe even just take the sand out and give it a good rinse too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts