Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i want to change the substrate in my new Betta's tank. I've always used gravel but i really like the look of sand. Im going to use it in a 2 gallon tank. I have no problem in cleaning the sand etc... So what do you think? I want a light colored sand that will make my red Betta kinda pop.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I don't recommend sand- it can be very messy and it can make the water dirty a lot easier. Pebbles are a lot easier to clean, too.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I think gravel would be better for a 2 gallon, in my opinion.
In a two gallon you have to do 100% changes at least every week or two. It would be a pain in the butt to clean sand that often.
And you have a chance of sand getting sucked into the filter (if you have one), since the tank is small.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I liked sand in my HM's tank but it ended up constantly getting sucked into the filter and I could always see the bright orange poop on the black sand. It's also a pain to put water back into the tank because you have to do it so carefully or the sand goes everywhere.

All my tanks except my sorority are bare bottom :X

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
That's the short version of the endless sand vs gravel discussion. Below here are "Similar Threads" which expand on this discussion. Lot's to think about.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Gravel is way better for a starter, IMHO, in terms of ease of maintenance. Now here is something to consider: there are smaller sized gravels that are halfway almost between sand and regular sized gravel, and apparently from what I read plants really like them. I think the smaller gravels are really pretty too! And unusual.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
+1 Hallyx. If you do a search you'll find a kazillion threads. Like all decor, it boils down to a matter of preference.

I prefer sand because it looks more natural to me. It's also, for me, easier to maintain since all you have to do is a light surface vacuum instead of deep vacuuming like with gravel. And if you do like Tankman12 when refilling you won't disturb the sand. I pour the water over my hand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts